Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Backsaver belts - do they help or hamper?  (Read 2873 times)

Ambassador

Simms Backsaver belts - do they help or hamper?
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »

When I make the journey to my favourite rivers, I want to spend as much time out wading and fishing as I can, but do get a sore back when out there after a few hours.

A lifetime of givin'er on snowboard, dirtbike, skates, etc has left me with 4 cracked vertebrae and a bunch of other aches and pains. Not really into taking anything Dr peddles me for pain - especially while hiking and wading - so looking for ways to stay stronger longer out there.

Does anyone wear a back brace like the Simms Backsaver? Is it worth picking up? I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether they help or hamper you out on the river.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Simms Backsaver belts - do they help or hamper?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »

When I make the journey to my favourite rivers, I want to spend as much time out wading and fishing as I can, but do get a sore back when out there after a few hours.

A lifetime of givin'er on snowboard, dirtbike, skates, etc has left me with 4 cracked vertebrae and a bunch of other aches and pains. Not really into taking anything Dr peddles me for pain - especially while hiking and wading - so looking for ways to stay stronger longer out there.

Does anyone wear a back brace like the Simms Backsaver? Is it worth picking up? I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether they help or hamper you out on the river.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/simms-back-magic-wading-belt.72209/

norm_2

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

Unfortunately I have back disc issues.  My current situation is there are aches and pain but so far, I can still fish mostly without a belt.  I have a similar belt.  I leave the belt in the car until I need it.  The belt is a slightly restrictive but I can still fish with it.  I am wearing it now as I write.  The belt does provide support.  It does help with the aches.  Knowing what I know, I would buy one if I didn't have one.

I find doing some stretches every 30 minutes is very good.

I hope this helps.     

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »

I sometime lay over a log backward and stretch out that way, weird looking but it helps me.  Also trying to build up the abs and core muscles may also help support your back and reduce fatigue.

doja

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »

I sometime lay over a log backward and stretch out that way, weird looking but it helps me.  Also trying to build up the abs and core muscles may also help support your back and reduce fatigue.

Reminds me of the Simpsons....  And Homer's " Crack a matic"  garbage can thing, lol

On a more serious note,  a yoga ball of proper size is awesome for laying on backwards to stretch and even better for building g core strength....  Google " Swiss ball routine"  for a bunch of great excersizes of varying levels. One of the best core workouts I've ever done and cheap!!!

Ambassador

Re: Simms Backsaver / Backmagic belts - do they help or hamper?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I do a fair bit of stretching throughout the day - especially when on the river. Also lost 25lbs in the past 2 months hitting the juice (veggie and fruits - not 'roids :P), and that oughta help a bit.

After hearing what Norm_2 and Clarkii's link have to say, I think I'll pick one up to have for those achy days. The $50 - $100 bucks is not much over the long haul - especially if it keeps me out on the river a few minutes longer to haul in that massive chrome Spring I've been dreaming about.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »

I tend to slouch and a loaded vest just makes it worse. A friend lent me his back brace that you might see warehouse workers use, not fishing specific. I thought the back support was pretty cool and allows you to relax your torso yet still feel it helping maintain a better posture and you don't feel as worn down by the end of the day. I would definitely use it again on longer fishing days. Note this is coming from someone who doesn't have any particular back problems.

Just IMHO but I think the manual labour industries like construction etc already has good solutions for back support for physically demanding activities. I like Simms as much as the next guy but the name alone makes it cost double what something just as good would be from a regular store. Whats the MSRP on that belt? Probably $70-$80 CDN with our low dollar now. Go to KMS, Marks Work Warehouse, or even online and I'd bet you can probably find the same thing for half the price or less.