Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about marine forecasts...  (Read 1416 times)

dufflayer

Quick question about marine forecasts...
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »

Heading offshore for the first time in my life this weekend and had a question about weather. I'm a total salt water newbie.

If the forecast for the Dixon Entrance reads winds of 30 knots, does this write off small craft fishing for the day? (Assuming we launch from Prince Rupert).
What's a good way of determining whether you're fishing or not; aside from actually being there and making a call on the conditions.

Thanks!
Go Leafs Go

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Quick question about marine forecasts...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »

Check the Environment Canada's website for marine forecast, wind warnings and gale warnings first:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=02

Big part of it is also local knowledge and checking with locals on what the favorable wind direction is. For a small vessel (anything under 20') things could change quickly. I'd check for weather changes on the VHF radio and if the wind picks up, pack in quickly and leave for shore before it gets nasty.

96XJ

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »

Depends how far out you plan on going of course , but 30 knot winds would be a little uncomfortable to fish from a small craft i would think , might want to stick close to shore , common sense should prevail

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »

If the forecast for the Dixon Entrance reads winds of 30 knots, does this write off small craft fishing for the day? (Assuming we launch from Prince Rupert).

Thanks!

..and yes, 30knots can make it really choppy and some times unfishable even for larger fishing boats.

dufflayer

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:07:11 AM »

Things aren't looking good for this weekend  :(
I'm hoping common sense and local knowledge prevails and we'll find a way to fish around the poor conditions.
Go Leafs Go