Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack help, first timer  (Read 3026 times)

Sinergy

chilliwack help, first timer
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »

Hey all so. I am going with a buddy to fish in Chilliwack for the first time. we are going july.1/16
What runs up the river this time of year. and what is the best way to fish?
bobber, floating bait from the bottom, a spinner, or just bobber with some berkleys? any recommendations?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: chilliwack help, first timer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »

Here is an overview which just went up on the website to get you started.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/chilliwack_river_summer_salmon_fishery.html

Sinergy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »

Oh thanks a million.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »

"A small percentage of the fish often become resident trout, which can have negative impacts on native resident trout and juvenile salmon by competing or predating on them. Due to these concerns, anglers are permitted to keep these trout"

Quite confusing. So the river is closed May/June so the little steelheads can make it back to the ocean and now you're allowed to keep them because they decided to stay behind?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »

"A small percentage of the fish often become resident trout, which can have negative impacts on native resident trout and juvenile salmon by competing or predating on them. Due to these concerns, anglers are permitted to keep these trout"

Quite confusing. So the river is closed May/June so the little steelheads can make it back to the ocean and now you're allowed to keep them because they decided to stay behind?

That's correct. Current management believes that by this time of the year, those which have not smoltified and made their way into the ocean, will residualize and become resident trout which compete with other native trout and char, prey on juvenile salmon etc. Keep in mind that we're talking about hatchery juvenile steelhead here only, all wild trout/juvenile steelhead still have to be released with care.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »

The best fishing for Chinook is usually the last half of July. While opening day has become wildly popular the fishing is normally not that good or is spotty at best. Explore the lower parts of the river. Also the it's not a big run - you won't see fish all over the river like you sometimes see in the fall and it varies greatly year to year.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »

Is it the usual presentations for these early chinook, too? Drifting roe, wool, spoons?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »

Although I have not fished the C/V for years for summer chinook, I really enjoy the summer trout fishery.

I have taken many kids and families there over the years. A bobber and worm is as complicated as it gets and the kids always catch trout. Great fun.

And for myself, once (maybe twice) a year I'll take my lightest fly rod and wade the river in shorts and old sneakers to flyfish for trout. It's quite enjoyable to wade wet, with a minimum of gear, and flyfish for trout in a river on a beautiful summer day.   

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »

Is it the usual presentations for these early chinook, too? Drifting roe, wool, spoons?
Roe and cured shrimp drifted under a float are the typical presentations for reds. Blades , egg sacs and shrimp tipped jigs can also produce well.