Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sport Check a Joke  (Read 4852 times)

Max

Sport Check a Joke
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:04:24 PM »

I frequent Sport Chek and now find them to be a joke and somewhat sleazy.

First, the Sport Chek's and Coast Mountain Sports are in the same floor space with hardly a wall to divide them.

Many times they have items for sale at Sport Chek that are not for sale at Coast mountain and vice versa. The sleazy thing is that they are essentially the same store and if I want to purchase an item from Sport Chek then I should be able to purchase the same item for the same price at Coast Mountain.

I asked them about this and they said NO.  They said that they are "separate stores". So I ask...

1) If you are separate store, then why am I not made aware that I am entering a different store with signs saying so (I'm not talking about the main entrances from the outside).

2) Why is the business name on the receipt the same (ie: The Forzani Group) whether I purchase from the cashier in Sport Chek or the cashier in Coast Mountain Sports.

3) In the Metropolis and Richmond Centre stores, why are there not separate cashiers identifying which store they belong to.

4) Why are employees wearing the Sport Chek uniform working back and forth between the Sport Chek and the Coast Mountain side.

And yet they say that they are not the same company.

Also, wacth out for their prices. Many times the prices wrung in at the register is not the price advertised or stated on the racks. Beware.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Sport Check a Joke
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:06:43 PM »

Sports Chek was in the news recently, I believe for price fixing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:19:57 PM »

Seems like they haven't changed.

pinkwool

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »

One thing you probably don't know is that Metrotown's SportMart is also owned by Forzani Group. That store is suppose to sell cheaper (in quality terms) stuff, but sometime you can find the same items as in SportCheck, but for the lower price :) Do you smell monopoly here  ??? ??? ???

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »

Thanks for the info guys I had no idea how incestuous the relationship is.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 06:33:31 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Max.  Different prices on the product and at the cash register really tick me off.  That other stuff too.  If you can't feel good about the place you buy stuff for a sport you love, what's the point?  I'll do my best to avoid them.