Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie, How do you fish a lake?  (Read 4389 times)

BirdNester

Newbie, How do you fish a lake?
« on: July 21, 2004, 11:16:19 AM »

Since I am new to fishing and have only fished rivers, I have no idea how to catch fish in a lake. How do you do it? I am sure there are differences for different types of lakes, but in general, how do you do it?
I don't have a boat so I am thinking that I stand on the shore and cast as far as I can without a float and let er' sink. Maybe some shrimp on a small hook? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
RobertO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Newbie, How do you fish a lake?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 11:23:48 AM »

Concentrate on the points, shoals and creeks flowing into the lake.

BirdNester

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:25:06 AM »

With what kind of a setup?
RobertO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:28:56 AM »

I assume you don't flyfish. In that case try using a float and some split shots. For bait try Power Bait, small worms, cooked shrimps. Alternatively, you can cast small spinners or spoons.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:46:34 PM »

Birdnester.  Take a fly casting or fly fishing course.  Pick up "Fly Fish the Trout Lakes" by Jack Shaw and "The Gilly".  Probably the best books for BC.  You'll need a flotation device to get away from shore in most interior lakes.  Good luck. :)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:57:53 PM »

hey nester,nice meetin ya at Laidlaw the other day.Am a river man not a lake guy but that will change once I get my Brandywine Flyer  ;D anyway for the non fly guy a small spinning set up will do for lower mainland lakes like Rolley Goose Mike  ect,Have had lots of luck with a blue fox #2 and maybe some power bait to entice em further ;D.Better with a boat though like trolling in a canoe can be great fun.Or from shore in the right spot (no snags and signs of fish)  bar fishing with bait like worms or eggs.

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 06:25:21 PM »

Hey thanks leadbelly, now I just have to go to the bait shop and figure out what half of that means  ;D Oh and you will be happy to know that the next day we went out again and the bird nest count was like 4 for about 14 hours of fishing, pretty good eh?
P.S hows your head?
RobertO

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »

ask any question, thats part of why where all here.Actually Ive had an ear ache all day for some reason ;D

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 08:27:31 PM »

I'm also not that great a lake fisherman, but here is something that has often worked for me with a spinning rod:  buy a casting bubble (they will know what this is at the tackle shop) and some small flies meant to be fished on the surface, like mosquitos or gnats, and early in the morning or just at sunset tie that casting bubble on, and about four feet below it tie on one of those flies.  Heave it as far out there as you can and pull it in slowly.  If the fish are rising, you will get strikes.

Warning:  do this very much and pretty soon you will be wanting to buy a fly rod and then a whole lot of other things to go with it.  Good luck!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 08:31:32 PM »

Ya i have caught many cuttys with small wooly buggers that my budy ties and a split shot, had one on in Goose lake that after a few smaller one in this one scared the crap out of me but was only on for about 10 seconds :P

TtotheE

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 11:21:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure SOMEONE has tried this before, but a few weeks back I tossed out one of them small "gang troll" setups with a powernugget on the end, let it sink, and reeled in sloooooow.  Part way through the retrieve I had some great hits, only to miss em.  I think the hook I was usin was too big.  This was off a large rocky wall at a lake where the lake seemed to just drop off.  Now that I know it works I should try actually trolling the thing :P