Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you use a Jon boat in Ambleside area to fish for coho and Chinook?  (Read 7924 times)

driftdriven

Got a new Jon boat and was wondering if it is safe enough to use at cap mouth to fish for coho and other salmon?  I am saving up for a proper boat for inland but in the mean time would like to do some trolling. It's a 14 ft with a 9.9 motor.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

I had this, or something like this typed up earlier, but deleted it because...

I don't have a boat, I've never had a boat, though from time to time I've been in one.

I have, however, fished Ambleside from shore a lot, while wishing I had a boat.

I think the answer is that it would depend a lot on the wind/weather, and the timing of the tide, and the tidal coefficient.

On high coefficient days, there are parts of the estuary that generate some pretty powerful water currents I would be very wary of, long lines of standing whitecap waves that more ore less just stay there, with very fast rips going this way and that.

Otoh, there are many days when it is a balmy, placid surface that a belly boat would likely be fine. I've seen dinghy's, kayaks, and canoes used safely.

I should think that with a 14' boat and a 9.9 motor that you'd be able to very effectively fish that stretch, as long as you used common sense and resisted the urge to be a hotshot, if you get those urges.

Even on the days where the water is super turbulent, it's only for a short period of time while the tide turns over from slack to incoming.

That being said, I will repeat that I don't have a boat and never have, there could be an awful lot going on out there that I'm not aware of, standing on the sandbar wishing I had a boat...

driftdriven

Ya I fish off the shore too and wished I had a boat. I figured I'd see if I could find out if anyone has tried.

Thanks for the input

typhoon

• Old Timer

The biggest problem with a Jon boat is the amount of freeboard. It would be easy to get swamped by waves or passing boats if you have a shallow boat. I fish out there with my 10' inflatable with no problems, but you can fill my boat with water and I won't sink.

driftdriven

Ya I see your point. Safety was my concern

Thanks!

Damien

• Old Timer

I will have REALLY high capacity bilge pumps and a bucket handy.  As mentioned, jon boat a) don't have freeboard and b) don't have a bow to cut the waves.  So you can take on water from the sides and over the bow very very easily.

With the cruise ships, tankers and tugs pulling barges through there, it can get iffy at times.  To say nothing of the nastiness of the narrows, tides and weather in general

Personally, I would get a couple guys together and rent a boat from here from a couple of times a year to get it out of your system;

http://www.boatrentalsvancouver.com/fishing/fishing-boat-rental/rental-rates/
Or do a charter to fish those waters.

I have a 17' Modified V jon boat with a 70hp Yamaha and wouldn't bother with the risk of getting swamped out there.  It's just not suitable in my humble opinion.  YMMV.

I also have a 14' foot deep V tinny with a 30hp Yamaha that I would be more apt to bring to that water that my Mod V. 

flyrod

• Old Timer

Whatever boat you take you need at least 20 inch transom and a fast motor to get you out of trouble if the wind comes up.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

If you value your life,no.

Old Blue

I go all over Howe Sound from Porteau and from Vanier park to Burrard Inlet and even around Point Atkinson(fun surfing the waves) in my zodiac....but it's made for various types of water and I keep a close eye on the weather forecast and also at the first sign in a weather change I generally head in but a few times have been caught in nasty Howe Sound inflows which were pretty sketchy.

A flat bottom boat is made for small to medium size lakes, no way I'd chance it in the salt especially The Cap.  Even on the calmest day you still have fast changing currents, not to mention all the boat traffic and tankers that could swamp you very easily.  DO NOT CHANCE IT THERE. 

You might be able to get away with it out of Porteau on the calmest of days as there's less current and traffic.  I was out in a 16 flat bottom jet a few years ago there but it wasn't that fun.

canso

• Old Timer

I was out in a 16 flat bottom jet a few years ago there but it wasn't that fun.

I use my 16' jet sled everywhere out front and have a blast. A 16' jon boat or a 14' veebottom aluminum would be minimum, find the widest bottom you can get.

Dogbreath

Yes I've done it in a friend's jonboat if you're careful there's no issue here are a few pics from trips past

Lovely morning as you can see this boat even has a kicker!

Fishing can be good 'n the hood!

'Interesting' is how to describe what happens when one of these slides by

Tenz85

If you do, wear ur pfd and get boat insurance.

armytruck

• Old Timer

Neighbours to the south in there Jon Boat .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAb91Azz_Eo
Good video I thought .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarkii

• Old Timer

Just look at how big that boat is though, wide enough for two guys to sit side by side with ample room between!

They also have a 50hp on there