Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying my first tackle vest - any advice?  (Read 4198 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Buying my first tackle vest - any advice?
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »

Getting too hot to wear my jacket out there so I'm gonna treat myself to my first tackle vest for Father's Day but not sure what I need or want it to have. Just tired of running back to shore to my backpack to change lures, reload roe, etc.

Any tips on what to look for in a vest?

Thanks in advance

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Buying my first tackle vest - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »

Here is an old thread with extensive discussion on vests http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25857.15, specifically starting with the "Vedder" vest.  I guess the first questions is what type of fishing are you using it for? 

I'm looking to replace mine, but I'm not so sure I will go with a vest this time around- I find myself leaving it on the bank more than wearing it, it is just too heavy to be comfortable.

barky

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »

The vedder vest is pretty decent for the money. Trophy XL also makes a similar vest and some say its better quality than the vedder but I haven't used one myself to compare. Another option all together would be to get a waist pack. I've been using a William Joseph waist pack and have been satisfied with its quality so far and you can store quite a bit of gear in it. If you're interested in the vedder vest and are a size medium, the company that distributes them (Brons International) has them for sale on their website for $45 instead of $80 with free shipping, if not a size medium, almost all local retailers (Freds, Berrys etc.) will carry them in all sizes.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

I wore a vest for years, but in the last 10 years I've switched to sling packs. They are like a hybrid of a backpack and a waist pack:

When you need something, you simply rotate it around to the front and - voila! - you have easy access to everything.

Thoughts vs a backpack:
- doesn't need to be removed to gain access
- generally smaller so carries less stuff
- generally less expensive than backpacks

Thoughts vs a waistpack:
- keeps things higher, and as a result, dryer if you wade
- carries more stuff
- gets in the way less when hiking (I find, anyway)

Thoughts vs a vest:
- less hot in warm weather than most vests
- easier to carry moderate-sized items
- not always as many different pockets compared to a vest
- may not distribute weight as nicely as a vest does

Good luck in your search!
Tex

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

I've got a few vests.
Best access for the different fisheries.

However, I'm looking to switch to a sling pack for most of it.
For reasons Tex pointed out.

I'll still wear a vest for certain fisheries but as I'm mostly C&R I just need to pack a few things.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »

If you intend to retain some monster springs and your car is far from your fishing spot, then having the pouch in the vest to carry the fish is a big help. So it all depends on the type of fishing you wish to engage in.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »

If you intend to retain some monster springs and your car is far from your fishing spot, then having the pouch in the vest to carry the fish is a big help. So it all depends on the type of fishing you wish to engage in.
The back of the vest is also a handy place to carry a water bottle, lunch, folded up rain jacket....

As Steelhawk says, it depends on what kind of fishing you are doing. I use a chest/sling pack for some outings (typically for short outings and/or when I am not carrying a lot of gear) and my vest for longer outings when I am further away from the vehicle and/or am carry a lot of gear)         

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

The back of the vest is also a handy place to carry a water bottle, lunch, folded up rain jacket....

As Steelhawk says, it depends on what kind of fishing you are doing. I use a chest/sling pack for some outings (typically for short outings and/or when I am not carrying a lot of gear) and my vest for longer outings when I am further away from the vehicle and/or am carry a lot of gear)       

^^^ This, this and this. 

I also try to keep my gear down to two spools of mono, a spool of fluoro and a fly box in the front of my waders, but .....

I also have the Trophy XL vest, its light, has lots of pockets, a big 'rear' pouch for rain jackets and fish and it carries way too much stuff for my shoulders (need to remind myself to remove the kitchen sink).  It is also as good as new after three seasons.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:44:44 PM by Knnn »

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »

Like others have already said, depends on the type of fishing you are doing, and how long you plan on fishing for.  I have used both the vest, and waist pack, both have their pros and cons.

Vests are best for all day adventures.  You can pack an insane amount of gear in a vest.  Lunch, water, rain jackets, 8 types of steelhead presentations, 40 lures, etc.  The only problem is a loaded vest gets heavy on the shoulders and back after 8+ hours of fishing.  And when they get wet it's even more weight to carry around

A shoulder bag/waist pack is much easier to pack around all day, I hardly ever notice I'm wearing it .  But it only holds a minimal amount of fishing gear, and one small water bottle.  So you really have to simplify the presentations you bring.