Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano SOC8000F Spinning Reel  (Read 3056 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Shimano SOC8000F Spinning Reel
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »

I'm shopping for a spinning reel that I can use for saltwater fishing mainly for coho and I found this reel at A&N for $105. Has anyone used this reel for salmon fishing and what's your experience with it? What would be a good value for a saltwater spinning reel in the $100-$150 budget range?

http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Shimano-SOC-8000F-Socorro-Saltwater-Reel_p_8647.html

Thanks

BananasQ

Re: Shimano SOC8000F Spinning Reel
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

I've used this on pinks - I also picked up a second spool cheap off of eBay too.  I have had it about 5 years and it has served me well, but I can't say anything like "its the best out there" as I don't have a lot of others to compare it to.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:50:31 PM »

The better you take care of it the longer it will last and the better it will perform.
Rinse in freshwater after every use and a regular lube job will get mileage out of it.

Treat it like dirt and....

There's better stuff out there but some folks have different experiences depending on how well they take care of their equipment.

RainbowMan

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »

Thanks, guys. Is it not too heavy/big for a full day of beach fishing? I read a review from a guy who's been using it for bar fishing down in WA!! Is it a heavy duty kind of reel or is it something that I can use with my 9' spinning rod for coho fishing? Appreciate your inputs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:28:05 PM by RainbowMan »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:18:50 PM »

Thanks, guys. Is it not too heavy/big for a full day of fishing? I read a review from a guy who's been using it for bar fishing down in WA!! Is it a heavy duty kind of reel or is it something that I can use with my 9' spinning rod for coho fishing? Appreciate your inputs.
From the line capacity and drag listed, it looks pretty heavy duty.  And I don't know what to compare it to, but 20 oz sounds heavy.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »

Rinse in freshwater after every use
IMHO, rinsing in freshwater after every use is overrated. My little Shimano Sedona 1500 is my workhorse reel for beach fishing for ct. It gets used a ton during my beach season and only gets rinsed in freshwater when I inadvertently dunk it (like it did this week!), maybe once a season. The only maintenance it sees is a shot of WD40 every couple of months. After 12+ years of solid saltwater use, and not bathing it like a baby in freshwater, it's still in very good shape and still brings home the bacon for daddy.

Rod beat me to it. I was going to edit my post to answer your original question (instead of just disagreeing with FOCB :))  that an 8000 is too much reel for coho and I was going to recommend a 2500 as well

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:17:42 PM by clarki »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »

That reel is an overkill for what you want to do. I'd go with a Shimano Sahara 2500FE instead.

RainbowMan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:09 PM »

That reel is an overkill for what you want to do. I'd go with a Shimano Sahara 2500FE instead.
Thanks for the inputs. I already have a 2500 but am not sure if it could handle the salt abuse.

VA7DDP

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »

Thanks for the inputs. I already have a 2500 but am not sure if it could handle the salt abuse.

When I worked at a Tackle Shop/Department we had many people using the Shimano Sahara and Sedona reels in saltwater.

None of them ever had a problem; other than the ones that put their reels down on the beach and got sand in it, and then cried foul.

As long as you rinse it after each use it will last you years; If I am going fishing 2 days in a row then I wont rinse my reel each time but wait until the trip is done.

If you are just casting lures for salmon of the beach then a 2500 will be fine for smaller species like Coho, Pink etc. If your going for Springs then I would probably get a 3000.