Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on fishing in Trail, BC  (Read 11837 times)

stlucio

Tips on fishing in Trail, BC
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:28 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm going to Trail, BC for about five days during the last week of June. I don't know Trail very well except that there is a river that runs through it. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Open for both fly fishing and throwing some spoons, as well as guided trips. Thanks in advance. Tight Lines.

LC

poper

Re: Tips on fishing in Trail, BC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »

The Columbia river is a awesome river to fish, lots of access in and around trail, Flys work great, but spoons and spinners worked for trout as well, grub jigs worked great for walleye by the Waneta Dam.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:47:18 PM »

A lot small lakes (sorry, don't remember the names; just the ) that require a hike that'll get you into numerous (but smaller) fish.
Some have rafts, but best to bring along some light spinning gear as fly fishing might not allow much room for your backcast.

poper

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:11:52 PM »

Champion lakes, just outside of fruitvale.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:13:29 PM by poper »

stlucio

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »

Thanks guys! I'm also looking into some guided trips out in Castlegar, BC.

Ripple

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »

Look into 'Chillbilly Charters' out of Castlegar. Graham offers drift fishing on the Columbia for rainbow and walleye, as well as several other areas nearby for a variety of species (see website).
I am headed there mid August, the wife and I are spending a few days exploring the area and have booked a day fishing with him...we can't wait!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 05:23:34 PM »

Fish for the pike that are in the river, Kill them and keep the heads.  Might get a reward and also help out the native species.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »

Don't eat fish out of the Columbia.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:42 PM »

Within Trail on the Columbia, start a little north of Gyro Park and fly fish (I'm sure swinging spoons would also work well) all the way down to the main bridge (hwy 3B), where you can find some big rainbows and brooks.  Further south check out the confluence with Beaver Creek. To the north you can also explore around Genelle and around Castlegar try east of Selkirk College and/or at the south end of Waterloo Road (Ootischenia).

Good luck and please post a fishing report.

stlucio

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »

I didn't know the water quality of Columbia River is poor. I was hoping to keep some walleye but I guess not... Thanks!

stlucio

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »

Within Trail on the Columbia, start a little north of Gyro Park and fly fish (I'm sure swinging spoons would also work well) all the way down to the main bridge (hwy 3B), where you can find some big rainbows and brooks.  Further south check out the confluence with Beaver Creek. To the north you can also explore around Genelle and around Castlegar try east of Selkirk College and/or at the south end of Waterloo Road (Ootischenia).

Good luck and please post a fishing report.

This is great, thanks! I will definitely try to take some photos and post a fishing report. Tight lines!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »

Because......?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »

I'm not sure about above trail but there are a number of contaminated groundwater plumes from the trail smelter migrating under and into the river.  Also surface water quality in the creek above the smelter and drains are impacted by metals.

However the Columbia is a high volume river so I do not know if there is a measurable impact on tissue quality in the higher tropic species such as trout, etc.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »

I didn't know the water quality of Columbia River is poor. I was hoping to keep some walleye but I guess not... Thanks!

Should keep any walleye you catch within the limit (reason it is 16 downstream of the Keenleyside dam).  Ministry wants them out of there.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »

While I think there have been public health warnings for fish around Trail and downstream I don't believe there are any currently. Personally I'd be more worried about eating walleye out of there than trout. Walleye are piscivorous so would be more likely to concentrate heavy metals. I believe they are also longer lived than trout. But people do take lots of walleye out of the river and eat them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.