Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better late than never - Winter Steelhead Recaps  (Read 2306 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Better late than never - Winter Steelhead Recaps
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »

Hey guys.

I was so busy after winter steelhead fishing that I never had a chance to put a recap together even though I wanted to. I finally was able to recently. I split them up to make reading easier/shorter. Something to look at if you're bored. Lots of pictures and not much writing (writing is just enough to give an idea of what was going on, events that happened, etc).

Hope you enjoy!

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/201516-winter-steelhead-recap-photoblog-part-i/

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/201516-winter-steelhead-recap-photoblog-part-ii/

Cheers,
Dan

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Better late than never - Winter Steelhead Recaps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »

Thank you for sharing, steelie Dan.
It ain't the roe bro'

banx

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »

great write up.  enjoyed that with my coffee this morn. thanks for sharing

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »

Thanks for that writeup, ED. Makes me excited already for next year.

I noticed in the pics that you're mostly using spinning rods, is that right? Doing that on the Vedder, locals who don't know you must think you're a visiting American. Do you bring a CP with you as well and switch back and forth?

Oh, and "for the first time in 3 years I had a skunked day."

Made me laugh and then cry.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »

I noticed in the pics that you're mostly using spinning rods, is that right? Doing that on the Vedder, locals who don't know you must think you're a visiting American. Do you bring a CP with you as well and switch back and forth?

I would say that I spoon toss with a spinning rod a good 70-80% of my winter season depending on the rivers I'm fishing. I just enjoy it more. Some years (like last year), spoons work spectacularly well, and then years like this year they don't. I fish it most of the time regardless of how well they are doing because I love the hits, I like being engaged all day focusing on the swing/thump and constantly manipulating my swings, and I enjoy how light and easy it is to cover water quickly and effectively.

On the Vedder I do often bring my pin though, since most of it is pocket water. I only hit 2 steel on spoons in the Vedder in the 10 trips I did... the other dozen or so fish I got were on the pin tossing a jig (and a couple on roe).