Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rewaterproofing Simms Blackfoot Waders  (Read 3162 times)

robbo1970

Rewaterproofing Simms Blackfoot Waders
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »

Hi,

So after my latest trip out this weekend I discovered that my simms blackfoot waders are leaking!

It appears to be the entire inside leg tape joint. As a new pair of waders are entirely out of the budget at the moment I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything I could apply to rewaterproof.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Rewaterproofing Simms Blackfoot Waders
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

I'd start by contacting Simms. If the waders arr still worth it they do a great job of repairing and reconditioning waders for a reasonable price if the work they did on my G3s is any measure - it was $100 including new neo boots, seam repair, water proofing & shipping.

oh and I should add - don't apply stuff like aquaseal to the seams as that will make any further repair impossible if the glue doesn't work
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:58:14 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »

Not sure if this is the best answer, but this is what I would do:

Spray the area with alcohol inside and out and make sure it's clean/dry. Buy some Aquaseal. Put on a latex glove and use your finger and apply a nice bead along the area in question (on inside of waders). If you think it's necessary do the same on the outside of the wader, goop some on there too!

Also not a bad idea to pop into a shop where the staff fish hard and have fixed their own waders many times.

I like Searun (bring the waders in with you). If you buy the Aquaseal from Canadian Tire to save a buck don't expect any help from the staff.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »

I'd start by contacting Simms. If the waders arr still worth it they do a great job of repairing and reconditioning waders for a reasonable price if the work they did on my G3s is any measure - it was $100 including new neo boots, seam repair, water proofing & shipping.

oh and I should add - don't apply stuff like aquaseal to the seams as that will make any further repair impossible if the glue doesn't work

Good points. If they are new or new-ish I would try Simms. But you are going to be without your waders for a bit and it's not going to be that cheap of a fix. If your waders are more than a few years old I would just go to town with the Aquaseal.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »

Express Reel Service advertises wader repair. I have no knowledge how effective this may be but I have had them put new felts on wading boots and they did a good job

http://www.expressreelservice.com/Wader_Repair.html

I'd agree with Spawn Sack & take them to a shop that carries Simms - preferably where you bought it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FishnForFun

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »

I like Searun (bring the waders in with you). If you buy the Aquaseal from Canadian Tire to save a buck don't expect any help from the staff.

I love that place ! have had them help with multiple wader issues, that shop sure has saved me a ton of headaches.