Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transom Protector Pads  (Read 4294 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Transom Protector Pads
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »

Wondering if anyone has input and/or recommendations on transom protector pads?

Where we will be clamping our kicker to our 16 foot Harbercraft Falcon on the inside of the boat it is painted aluminum, same with the top surface, then the transom is bare metal. However there are several, currently not all scuzzed up, decals where the kicker will rest.

I would prefer that the kicker does not scuff the decals all up, and where the bolts bite down they do not scratch up the paint.

Has anyone tried one of these transom protector pads? I don't doubt that they protect the metal, I'm just a bit worried that they might not have enough grip against the metal on the boat, and might start to ride up and the motor falls off!  :o

I imagine metal on metal would have the most bite/grip, but the result will be a lot of cosmetic damage to the paint and decals.

Why don't I just drill through and bolt it to the transom? The boat sits in our driveway. Unless the bolts were welded on (like our main motor) I would be worried that some crackhead would come along and steal the kicker. The outboard locks that go over the bolts are, IMO, dinky and easily defeated. I plan to store the kicker in my garage when not in use. Also, if I am just going for a short fish in the Vedder canal I'd take the kicker off. Less weight in the boat and less metal in the way for netting fish. If I were going out in the main flow I'd keep it on as an emergency backup. Finally, to be honest I just don't want to drill 2 large holes through my pretty new boat :o Yes I know the main motor is bolted on, but where the kicker bolts on you will SEE the holes if the kicker is removed, which just looks ugly, and one day when I go to sell the boat possibly without the kicker could be a resale issue, IMO.

Why don't I just weld/bolt on a kicker bracket to the transom? The boat "accepts" a 20" or 25" shaft kicker no problem bolting right to the transom. I just like the idea of bolting the motor right on there without any additional bracket welded or bolted on. I've looked at fixed kicker brackets and the tilt up/down ones on other boats and just did not like them.

Anyway, interested in any feedback. Here is one I found through Cabelas.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/019151/moeller-transom-pad-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Transom Protector Pads
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »

Well I bought a pad online. Going by the reviews apparently these ones are sold in a lot of stores in Canada but are junk.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moeller-Rubber-Boat-Transom-Pad/dp/B000MTB7ZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464325765&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=transom+protector+pad

I found one made in the USA will mostly excellent reviews but not sold in Canada. I found a site that will accept Canadian billing info and ordered one up. Hopefully it works out!

http://www.customrubbercorp.com/products/cr-marine-products/transom-pad

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51899

dufflayer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »

'Round here folks just cut a slab of pulp belt for a transom pad. It's free, chemical resistant, and hot pink to boot.
Go Leafs Go

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »

You can go to a heavy truck service shop like Inland Kenworth or Wester Star or ... lot's out there. Even Lordco and get a rubber truck mud flap for under $20

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »

Thanks guys. The CR transom pad is already on order so I will post a review of it after I've had and used it for a bit.