Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A/N, Canadian Tire Inflateable boats...  (Read 11957 times)

joshuag232

Re: A/N, Canadian Tire Inflateable boats...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29:27 PM »

I have a 2 person inflatable from Canadian Tire. I take it out by myself lots at places like Jericho, Whiterock, Tsawassen ferry causeway, and once Skaha Lake. Just be careful with the currents and fighting the wind isn't easy. Highly reccommend it though, lots of fun and great exercise. Also good to get out a ways from the piers if you're fishing the salt, much better fishing away from the crowds.

BananasQ

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »

Inflatables have a limited lifetime. Over  a few years you will spend just as much in getting replacements for those bargain basement inflatables. If it is just yourself a good quality pontoon boat would be something to consider. And if storage is an issue how about a canoe. Versatile and can be transported on a car.

+1 for the canoe. But the kids do complain about it being tippy and its not that "social" all parked up in a row in it. I love our couple of trippers and both bought second hand I know I could sell them for what I paid for them no problem; the Kevlar tripper portages like a beast, can easily be managed by one person and I can get to places other boats cannot. 

TheFishingLad

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »

I use this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pelican-summit-100-sit-in-kayak-10-ft-0798279p.html#srp

Comes on sale for $350, and another $50 You can add rod holders and fish finder mount, paddle holders, anchor rope holders etc.. and another $50-ish for a paddle.

I do wish I had a proper sit on fishing kayak, but this is also nice in the rain.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »

Thanks, lots of good info.

Old Blue

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »

I use this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pelican-summit-100-sit-in-kayak-10-ft-0798279p.html#srp

Comes on sale for $350, and another $50 You can add rod holders and fish finder mount, paddle holders, anchor rope holders etc.. and another $50-ish for a paddle.

I do wish I had a proper sit on fishing kayak, but this is also nice in the rain.
There's one for sale on FlyBC

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

There's a lot of boats out there you can get use out of (Army and Navy included)
BUT.  It's better to pay a little more for something, for when you upgrade.
As opposed to going on the cheap and give it away when you do.
my 2 cents

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »

I have the 10' pelican sit-in kayak from Costco for the last 4 years (with the discount was around $250cdn comes with paddle and roof mount foam system for vehicle and spray skirt), mounted a rod holder on it and it has served well.... the only complaint I have is I wish I had a sit ON (instead of a sit IN) and a 12' instead of a 10' (a little more sturdy, but nearly double the price); fishing wise I find it a tad tough to reach around with the sit IN (also, me belly could use a workout so as not to get in the way as much LOL).

If it's a kayak you're after, Costco has the 10' pelican (don't look online, those prices are way higher than what they sell in the store) - they go on for $75 off every year.  If you go to the States, there's some good deals.... Home Depot if you can believe it has some really good prices http://www.homedepot.com/s/kayak?NCNI-5 also Walmart http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=kayak  HOLY WOW - just looked it up, HUGE SALE ON NOW!  For the price, I was looking at Sun Dolphin Fishing Kayaks (sit on)... They're on for $278 US (for the 10' - $121 off!!!) - comes set up for fishing!!! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphin-Journey-10-Sit-On-Fishing-Kayak-with-Paddle/32333500  If price is the big issue, the non-fishing, sit IN is on for $188 US.  Just add a rod holder... all come with paddles.

This goes against the buy local theme we all prefer, but I don't know of anywhere you can even come close to prices like those around here (or anywhere in Canada).  Sun Dolphin is made in the USA, so I don't think there would be duty on them, even if they did ask about it - I often have come across with that value (2 of us in the car usually) without being asked to pay any duties anyway.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:05:44 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »

I just picked up the Odyssey 100x from Costco.  When I left to go camping on the weekend they were stacked up on two skids.  Must have been 30+ of them.  I went shopping yesterday at the same location, there were 2 left.  So I grabbed one.  Comes with the paddle, skirt, light duty roof pads...in store for $399, online $499.

It will be used to hit the local ponds, marshes and estuaries....just what I needed - A third fishing boat, lol;

14' Lund w/30hp Mariner + 55lb thrust Minn Kota
17.5 G3 w/70 Yamaha + 70lb thrust Minn Kota
10 Kayak w/sore back + arms

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

Buy this boat and never worry about owning another boat again:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/5613144790.html

Put on a 9.9 outboard and you can do the Fraser, the inlet...not to mention interior lakes...it won't last.
I would so buy it myself, but I can't justify having two inflatable boats

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 08:24:29 AM »

I just want to insert some caution that hypalon boats are somehow all but indestructible. I have both a hypalon (Achilles) and a PVC (NFO). I've had to patch both. I've got 2 patches on the hypalon boat. Quality inflatables are puncture and abrasion resistant. That's it. You need to exercise some care. Hypalon and PVC boats are also prone to UV degradation. Hypalon is the better of the two but it is heavier and more expensive.

Most people who have used inflatables for a some years have at least one story about arriving at a fishing destination, inflating their boat and finding there is a an air leak. Once I fished a small lake and had to inflate the boat every hour of so because of a leak. Get a temporary patch pack like Kirch's Kwick Patch. Even some duct tape or gorilla tape may do.

Inflatables are great in terms of storage & transport (when deflated) but there are trade offs as well. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FishOn36

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »

This is a little off topic, but if you guys are looking for a good patch that's quick to apply, check this out. Really good stuff! I purchased it from MEC, not sure where else carries it locally.

https://www.tear-aid.com/

sbc hris

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »

This is a little off topic, but if you guys are looking for a good patch that's quick to apply, check this out. Really good stuff! I purchased it from MEC, not sure where else carries it locally.

https://www.tear-aid.com/

Sweet!!! Thanks for bringing that up, I'm going to grab some next time I'm in MEC

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »

An underinflated boat will puncture much more easily, so consider using a gauge.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »

And travelling with an inflated boat when travelling through higher elevations or when it gets hot will let the air inside to expand, "POP".

Just be aware and travel with it under inflated and let some air out if it's gonna sit out in the sun.