Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A/N, Canadian Tire Inflateable boats...  (Read 11963 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
A/N, Canadian Tire Inflateable boats...
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:03:30 PM »

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a little offshore fishing access. Ideally I would like a good fishing kayak, but the budget ain't there this year. I was in army and navy yesterday and there was a 6 person boat for 350$ which I could probably manage.

What's the scoop on boats like that? Good enough to get a line wet to start, or tragedy in waiting?

MetalAndFeathers

Re: A/N, Canadian Tire Inflateable boats...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:10:09 PM »

With that budget you can make it away with a cheaper pontoon boat. You might need a truck for it though...

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a little offshore fishing access. Ideally I would like a good fishing kayak, but the budget ain't there this year. I was in army and navy yesterday and there was a 6 person boat for 350$ which I could probably manage.

What's the scoop on boats like that? Good enough to get a line wet to start, or tragedy in waiting?

First question - do you have kids you need to support? Any you want to take it offshore? Ocean?

Or are you saying you want to take it on a little lake? The oars will be pretty crappy unless you step up and buy some real oars. If there are reasons other than budget that dictate you can only get an inflatable at this time, then go for it but always wear your PFD. if you can handle a hard boat, then find one in your price range on craigslist or kijiji or this site. A hard boat, f-glass or aluminum, at that price range will hold its value for as long as you own it and way safer.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »

No kids presently.

I would imagine it for lakes and maybe ocean near shore like off Ambleside. I liked that the one I saw had a motor mount for trawling. But I could also see it being used as an entertainment device for friends who do have kids, futzing about while camping.

Inflatable for storage and transportation, no room for a trailer or hard hull boat...

FishOn36

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »

These are pretty decent, a lot better than what Army & Navy carries. Has a semi-solid floor, so you can stand in it. It's a lot more durable as well... I'm planning on making some actual floor boards for mine out an acrylic sheet or plywood eventually.

http://rubberboats.com/product/inflatable-mariner-4-rigid-inflatable-boat.html

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/spo/5526070921.html

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:57 PM »

That looks alright!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »

I would look used, and find the best you can.  Good inflatables come up in the 300-500$ all the time.  Just have to be quick,  especially this time of year.

Canadian Tire has a big sale on kayaks starting on the 20th, a few decent starter options for under $400.

From my experience, both of these suggestions are better than buying those intex type inflatables.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

Thanks...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »

stay away from any cheap inflatable boat sold off the internet or from discount outlets like A&N. These boats may be ok for what they are intended to be - and they are intended to be water toys or occasional use only but if you are intending to use it regularly for fishing and might be a piece away from shore with few or even no people around - they are not a good choice no mater how reasonable the cost may seem. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »

Act fast.  If you don't mind an inflatable type of bench seat or riding on the 'gunnel'.

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/boa/5594852328.html

Bombard are very high quality.  This one ain't that pretty, but if it holds air and the transom isn't coming apart from the tubes, grab it.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »

If you can scrap up a bit more cash ,this one would make you happy .
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5589461366.html
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »

That would be a set up.  Its not a screaming deal, but VERY solid value in what looks to be a pretty mint condition package.

You could probably use it for a couple of years.  Keep the boat and motor clean and maintained and get all your money back.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »

I'd take this one over that one. New, and a wood floor sucks.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/5588050029.html

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »

Inflatables have a limited lifetime. Over  a few years you will spend just as much in getting replacements for those bargain basement inflatables. If it is just yourself a good quality pontoon boat would be something to consider. And if storage is an issue how about a canoe. Versatile and can be transported on a car.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »

I'd take this one over that one. New, and a wood floor sucks.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/5588050029.html

That's a sister to Barbi, my inflatable. I hooked her up with a 7.5 Johnson. 4 years now, no grief. The aluminum floor is good, very stable. Really heavy vinyl, I can't say much bad about it.
http://