Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Recommendations  (Read 3625 times)

Dylb

Fly Recommendations
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm not an avid fly-fisher, but I am heading out to Sasamat and Harrison Mills area within the next week and I would like to throw some flies around.

My question being: Can anyone recommend some seasonal fly patterns that would be worth while buying and trying?

I usually only have consistent luck on olive/black woolly buggers, of which I have a lot.

But I was hoping someone could share some wisdom on what other patterns I should use.

Thanks in advance!

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Fly Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »

Any fry pattern like  Muddler minnows, rolled muddlers, epoxy minnows, also try some nymphs like pheasant tails, prince nymphs, eggs potentially  (rainbow spawn coming up). 

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Are you fishing in stream sir lakes?
 I don't really know about streams but I do know that olive leaches and chironomids work well in the lakes in Harrison mills
Someone was here

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 03:27:53 PM »

small pumpkin heads or olive wooly buggers are good general patterns for local lakes. I also find dark nymphs particularly those tied with peacock herl effective so half backs and zugbugs a fit that bill. Forr dries they'll be chironomid hatches mean small tomb thumbs will bring rises. beetles will blow out of the timer on breezy days
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »

Pumpkinhead... What a great fly! I just started putting those on this year and they've been great everywhere, even caught a nice bull on the Squamish with it! Fished two whistler lakes earlier this week and it produced up there as well as local lakes like Como and Lafarge. I'm heading back up to the interior this month and will try them there too. Anyway definitely pick up a few pumpkinheads. They seem to be a sure bet so far this season.