Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crabbing  (Read 13929 times)

hrenya

crabbing
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:21 PM »

I was wondering if me and my bud going for crabs , and we catch 4 each , but he wants me to have them . Does this work same as with salmon (letter with info) or something else ?!
I`m mostly concerned about transporting them , cuz I have to drop off my bud at one point and head to another ...

bobby b

Re: crabbing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »

All the info you seek is in the regs.....

.....If you have a license then you should know this already. The possession limit for all crab species is 2x the daily limit.

If you have eight crabs on you, that would put you 2 over your daily catch limit, but 4 under your possession limit.....

However ..... if 'head to another' means another spot to catch some more crab then you may be in violation....or maybe you would just be ....greedy?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »

.....If you have a license then you should know this already. The possession limit for all crab species is 2x the daily limit.

If you have eight crabs on you, that would put you 2 over your daily catch limit, but 4 under your possession limit.....

However ..... if 'head to another' means another spot to catch some more crab then you may be in violation....or maybe you would just be ....greedy?

Huhh? ???

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »

It's the same as fish.  no more notes from your buddies, they closed that loophole. Lol

This is how it reads

"You may transport another person’s sport caught fish, provided that the total of all fish possessed does not exceed your personal possession limit for each individual species prescribed by regulation or by licence condition."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »

Am I mistaken or is the Crab limit not 4 each?

Lots of soft shelled (half empty) Crab out there right now.
I would give it some time before heading out Crabbing.
Not sure if its just a localized thing but where I was last Saturday they were only half full at best.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:31:25 PM by firstlight »

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »

No you are not mistaken.... my bad...depending on the area it is 6 or 4 .... Locally it would be 4

bobby b

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »

So ya.... to the OP ...if you have 8 on ya your possession limit is maxed out.

96XJ

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »

TimL

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »

Am I mistaken or is the Crab limit not 4 each?

Lots of soft shelled (half empty) Crab out there right now.
I would give it some time before heading out Crabbing.
Not sure if its just a localized thing but where I was last Saturday they were only half full at best.
I agree with your observations..but this is fairly typical right now. Late May through June right before commercial opening usually is best. So far this year hasn't been as good for dungeness compared to last year at this time. Lots of females and undersized males. I remembered limiting out (or close to)on dungies from April onward. I am crabbing from shore mind you..wondering whether the boaters are experiencing the same thing. Maybe it's just a seasonal glitch or simply increased fishing pressure on the weekends ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:11:54 PM by TimL »

bobby b

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:19 PM »

X2

That was based on a daily limit of 6 ... :p

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »

I agree with your observations..but this is fairly typical right now. Late May through June right before commercial opening usually is best. So far this year hasn't been as good for dungeness compared to last year at this time. Lots of females and undersized males. I remembered limiting out (or close to)on dungies from April onward. I am crabbing from shore mind you..wondering whether the boaters are experiencing the same thing. Maybe it's just a seasonal glitch or simply increased fishing pressure on the weekends ?

We were in the boat and the size was quite good and I don't think I seen a female the whole day which is probably a first for me.
I didn't look at the obvious throw backs to see if male or female so maybe some of the smaller ones were fermale but all of the larger ones were male.
Unfortunately they were very soft.

Dude

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »

Correct me if im wrong but is it true that the amount of meat in the crab depends on the moon hence why they are soft at time and hard other times?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »

Nothing to do with the moon and everything to do with their outgrowing their current shell.

hrenya

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »

if you would read more careful , you would note that I said that I will drop off my bud on the way to my final destination . And the actual question was can I have 8 crab while transporting ... nothing have to do with greed at all .

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »

I have to drop off my bud at one point and head to another ...

if you would read more careful , you would note that I said that I will drop off my bud on the way to my final destination . And the actual question was can I have 8 crab while transporting ... nothing have to do with greed at all .

You should run for politics.