Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In the bag for Lance?  (Read 9875 times)

Acute Angler

In the bag for Lance?
« on: July 19, 2004, 09:06:54 PM »

Anyone else following the tour?  If the Pyrenees were a good guide, it looks as though Voeckler will lose too much time in the Alps, and Basso will be Lance's only real competition down the stretch.  What happened to Azevedo and Ulrich?  They're are probably too far back now.

Personally I'm a little disappointed; I like Armstrong but the tour needs some drama.
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:In the bag for Lance?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »

Would be good for the sport if someone other than Armstrong wins.

Acute Angler

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »

What an unbelievable stage today.  All of the top riders sprinting to the finish after more than 200 km, and Armstrong beats Andreas Kloden by half a bike length in a photo finish.  Thats how it should be.

Armstrong seems unbeatable, but it looks like there is some good new blood on the horizon in Kloden, Basso, Voeckler, etc.
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:44:26 AM »

And he was also accidentally shot during a hunting incident and I believe he fishes too because he's in the Orvis catalog.

No, that was Greg Lemond. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 12:05:06 PM »

Probably the last time you will see Armstrong on the podium, as US Postal Service will no longer be the major sponsor of the team next year, and Armstrong has the urge to retire.

To admire Armstrong, you need to know his competitive cycling career from the very beginning.

He started out as a triathlete, but being a "try-hard athlete" was simply not satisfying enough. ;D Like most of them, he eventually shifted into cycling.

I remember watching the live coverage of world championship in 1993. It was a cold rainy day, most roadies dread for this kind of weather. Armstrong eventually crossed the finish line alone in first place. Many said the win was simply luck, as most major riders pulled out either due to poor weather condition or major crashes (there were several big crashes during that race).

That same year, he also won a stage in the TdF. Back then, he was more known as a single stage/one day road race rider/sprinter than a time trialist or a climber. To win the TdF or any other high profile stage race, you need to be a time trialist or a climber, as that's where you make up most of the overall time.

Back then Armstrong was young and arrogant at times. He was not well liked in the peloton. Many riders saw him as a stubborn young bloke who knew nothing. The French didn't like him either. Back here he wasn't very well known, as cycling was not that big at the time. He was involved in fist fights during a crash at one of the Tour, plus numerous Jerry Springer style debate off the race course.

The biggest blow during his career was when one of his teammate died in a crash during a descend in the Tour. Shortly after he was unable to perform in the mountains, forced to pull out from the race. He was then diagnosed with testicular cancer.

During his cancer treatment, most of us thought that was it. The news that came in each week was pretty grim. First the cancer was spread to the lungs, then they had to remove two tumors from the brain. Eventually no one paid attention, as we believed there would never be a comeback.

When he came back, he didn't just complete the race, but he won it! Ironically, the cancer trimmed him into a climber/time trialist that he needed to be. Before he was too big, there was too much weight. Stage sprinters rely on big muscles, but those big muscles are usually defeated by the body weight in the mountains. Lance lost a whole bunch of muscles, and became the skinny climber.

To understand how significant it is to win SIX Tour de France, you need to look at its history. The most Tours won by a single rider before Lance was five, and it was done by 5 (6?) people before him. The last one was Miguel Indurain, who was also incredible. This guy has a lung capacity bigger than most, and his resting heart rate is below 30 per minute. Miguel also went for the sixth, but pulled out during the race, just simply couldn't perform. Lance didn't only win six, but he won six in a row! That's one record sticking around for a long time.

Congrat Lance!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 12:33:43 PM »

I understand Lance won the Gastown Grand Prix as it was known then in 1991. I read somewhere that this may not be Lance's last Tour de France

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:23:37 PM »

Yes indeed, Lance was the 1991 Gastown winner.