Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night time salmon fishing closure for all waters in Region 2  (Read 4206 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Night time salmon fishing closure for all waters in Region 2
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »

Do you guys even remember why it was implemented?

If I am not mistaken:

During the early days of sockeye fishing, people would go fish 1 hour before midnight and catch 2 and then after midnight, they would catch another 2 giving them, a total of 4 fish. 2 caught before midnight and 2 caught after midnight.

DFO had to close that loop hole quickly to prevent that.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »

I was under the impression it was a result of migratory behaviour after dark making catching easier.

Walleye76

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »

Has this not been in effect for awhile now on non tidal?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »

Has this not been in effect for awhile now on non tidal?

No. Only certain rivers had it implemented. If it wasn't specifically stated in the regs before for each water body, it didn't apply. I'm not sure why they would have decided to do this now for all rivers. I've never tried my hand at night fishing, but I've heard it can be decent, especially for trout. I've done it on lakes (and done very well casting from shore with a fly), but never on a river.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »

If I am not mistaken:

During the early days of sockeye fishing, people would go fish 1 hour before midnight and catch 2 and then after midnight, they would catch another 2 giving them, a total of 4 fish. 2 caught before midnight and 2 caught after midnight.

Back when the sockeye flossery opened, the limit was 4 per day. The 2 per day is more recent.

TNAngler

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »

If I am not mistaken:

I can understand how checking that would be almost impossible but if everyone was honest and caught their fish this way instead of at 8 am each morning, I don't really see the issue.  It is the abuse of this I'm sure that causes the issue, not the fact that people can catch twice the limit in one outing.  Either people catching twice the limit and claiming part of it was caught before midnight, or people catching their limit in the middle of the night and then going back out in the afternoon to catch another limit.  Without keeping track of sockeye kept like they do with chinook that won't be stopped.  There is little deterrence to someone going out first thing in the morning, limiting out, going home and coming back out at the end of the day if they didn't get checked in the morning.

Kever

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »

It could help reduce netting and treble snagging too. Nefarious characters partaking in such activities sometimes prefer to do so under the cloak of night.