Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided line for sturgeon  (Read 8498 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Braided line for sturgeon
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

I bought a sturgeon setup of a guy last fall. Haven't used it yet but plan to get into the sturgeon scene this year.

I'm pretty sure he said the reel is spooled up with 80lb. I half forget, but feeling the thickness of the line I would say 80lb is a fair guess.

Would ya'll consider this too light? I imagine it is. I think it is unlikely to break fighting a sturgeon, but possibly if it were to get a nick in it maybe? In other words, a higher test line might be a good idea as a bit of extra "insurance" in case the line rubs against a rock or whatever.

Just curious what ppl can recommend as far as preferred brand and breaking strength? I was thinking maybe 120lb, as far as brand I'm not really sure. I have suffix 832 in 20lb on a spinning reel and I really like the way it casts and feels. However with the sturgeon set up I'm not so worried about casting and would go more for abrasion resistance/durability.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Braided line for sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »

Most guys go with 90-100lb leader, and the mainline must be heavier.
PowerPro 150 is cheap and strong. I haven't used the "slicker" braids (8 fibers) for Sturgeon.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Depends on whether or not you will be fishing from shore or from a boat.
I run 80lb Power Pro from shore. If you snag up, you will have an easier time with a little lighter line than something heavy. Also, casting a thinner diameter line will result in a further cast and that is generally the case from shore. I have only ever broken off one fish from shore (8-9 footer that I just could't do anything to, almost spooled me). But other than that, I have landed fish just shy of 7 in a timely fashion.
Fishing from a boat, feel free to beef up.
But always have the best interest of the fish in mind when choosing line.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »

One thing to keep in mind is that a thicker line will be affected by the current more.

You may need to use a heavier weight to stay on the bottom (boat fishing).

I would go with 100 to 120 lb - don't like the coated lines, though.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »

Most guys go with 90-100lb leader, and the mainline must be heavier.
PowerPro 150 is cheap and strong. I haven't used the "slicker" braids (8 fibers) for Sturgeon.

Good call. I forget what Fred's sold me but it looks like 90-100lb or so. I remember the staff member said it is what they recommend as since it is thick and soft I will not cut into the fish if it rolls into the leader. It would be WAY to thick to spool a reel up with you'd get very limited capacity. I think it's just Dacron but I don't remember for sure.

Depends on whether or not you will be fishing from shore or from a boat.
I run 80lb Power Pro from shore. If you snag up, you will have an easier time with a little lighter line than something heavy. Also, casting a thinner diameter line will result in a further cast and that is generally the case from shore. I have only ever broken off one fish from shore (8-9 footer that I just could't do anything to, almost spooled me). But other than that, I have landed fish just shy of 7 in a timely fashion.
Fishing from a boat, feel free to beef up.
But always have the best interest of the fish in mind when choosing line.

We will be fishing from a boat. Casting distance not a huge concern. By "always have the interest of the fish in mind" I am assuming you mean do not choose a line that will cut into them if they become wrapped in the line?

With this in mind is there a braid that is considered "sturgeon friendly"?

One thing to keep in mind is that a thicker line will be affected by the current more.

You may need to use a heavier weight to stay on the bottom (boat fishing).

I would go with 100 to 120 lb - don't like the coated lines, though.

That makes sense I never thought of that. I think I'll take the 80lb off the reel, save it on an empty spool for another use some day. Will re-spool with 100-120lb. Why don't you like the coated lines?

What do you think of Power Pro? Or another brand? With the amount I'll need to fill the spool I think I'd be looking for a cost friendly brand.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »

"Best interest" as in using a line suitable for brining in the fish in a timely fashion. Ive been guys out there using 30lb braid from shore for the casting distance, only to take 45 minutes to bring in a 5 footer.
And that has been a debate with using braid (cutting into the fish if it gets wrapped up), would like to hear some of your guys' opinions.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »

Not that I Sturgeon fish much anymore but I prefer mono. when I do.

hrenya

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »

I would say don't go less than 80 , but if you want 100 , you need longer rod if you cast from shore .
I have 70 main and 60 darcon as leader and 10` rod , I could cast quite far , but in case of snags I was loosing too much gear , my bud spooled me with 100 and 92 leader , I bought 12` rod , and I can cast almost same distance now I can bend hook but im getting pretty much all of the gear back :) . but keep in mind to use gloves when using heavy line and weights around 20 oz ...

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

150lb power pro and 100lb Dacron leader. I like to add high vis on one rod and green on the other rod. Makes it easy to untangle if you get a big one crossing lines.

Chromie

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »

80lb is totally fine fishing the lower Fraser as you Fish average will be smaller a good reel and rod is more important then 20lb more power in your line. Just remember to set ur drag looser at beinging of a fight with a big fish as it will run good. If u have lever drag u can tighten them up during the fight. When fishing upper Fraser u will require bigger lb on ur main line as you have to deal with your main line rubbing on rocks. So ur answer is 80 is fine cheers chromic

tnt

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »

Most of the guides I fish with run 130 or heavier, I prefer Tuff line XP, its a little fatter but better for abrasion resistance, and will not cut the fish or slip under a scoot, I run heavier leader, typically 200LB tuff line salt and pepper, it is supper soft and again large enough diameter not to cut up a fish, keep you drag tight big fish will pull line no problem, and the smaller ones come in quicker..be ready to chase fish dont sit on anchor when fighting really large fish, get on top of them and work them quickly.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »

Why don't you like the coated lines?
Coated line lose their coating soon or later and I've had lots of problems with it sinking into itself in the reel.