Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two basic setup questions...  (Read 3287 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Two basic setup questions...
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »

Two basic setup questions...

Today I was fishing with a wet fly and a sinking versileader. With the wet fly it was good, but I put on a dry fly cause I saw fish rising, and after about 15 seconds the versileader would pull the fly under the surface. Still caught fish though. When fishing with a dry fly, do you simply remove the versileader and connect your monofilament tippet to your mainline? If so, how long between the end of your bright green line and the fly?

I've been trying for steelies from time to time as well with a larger switch rod, but having the opposite problem with the fly I'm trying to use. I have a sinking versileader on it as well, but the fly is still drifting past only a few inches beneath the surface. I can see the leader dropping in a u shape from the end of the floating line and down then back up to the fly. So obviously the fly is too light. Is it ok to put one of those really small pinch weights on the shaft of the hook beneath the dcorations to get it to go under? I've tried putting them 18" above the fly but they usually disappear...

Thanks!

sbc hris

Re: Two basic setup questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:44:20 PM »

Yes, remove your versi leader to fish a dry fly, and attach a monofilament leader anywhere from 8'+ to the end of your floating line depending on the situation. Ideally you want a tapered leader to aid in fly turn over and delicate presentation.

As far as not getting your fly to sink, try shortening your leader. If you're swinging with sink tips, (or versi leaders) you don't want a long leader. Try a 3-4' leader and see if that helps. If that doesn't give you the desired result, I would suggest using weighted flies, and/or getting a tip with a faster sink rate.

Stantonius

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »

Everything said in the comment above is best advice.

I found shortening the leader under 4ft to be highly effective getting the fly down and to the target zone. Shorten it to 3ft (some go less) and some dumbbell eyes or big beads and you'll be down quick and at the start of your swing!

Good luck!

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »

Like everyone said take off your sinking versitip but you should have a floating tip as well in your wallet of tips.
The weight of your line, weight of your fly, tippet length and speed of the current will all affect sinking rates.
Different tips are heavier than others so you need to play around with this combo and your fly weight mostly.  Unless you're after spooky fish in very clear water then 6-7ft with a dark versitip should be fine.  I prefer the clear intermediate tip with 5ft tippet and a weighted fly from march onwards.  Good luck out there and keep playing around with different combos to see WHAT WORKS FOR YOU....we all fish different ways.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »

Thanks folks!