Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice needed: Fly tying set to sell  (Read 5901 times)

ThatDeafGuy

Advice needed: Fly tying set to sell
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »

Hello folks,

My Grandfather has collected this massive, I mean, MASSIVE fly tying set.  He passed a few years ago and we share the same love for fishing, but I just never really got into fly tying.  So I wanted some insight on your thoughts as to how I should proceed with parting ways with this set.  I am not trying to sell it here (if you are interested, please PM me though) I just wanted to collect some insight.

Pictures are on photo bucket: http://s628.photobucket.com/user/davidcbmcgregor/library/

Should I take this to a shop and see if they're willing to take this?  Is it possible someone would pick up literally a lifetime's worth of fly tying materials?

Thanks!

David
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Advice needed: Fly tying set to sell
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »

Seeing as you are not interested in tying I would suggest selling the materials.  You should either do one of two things, sell it as a lot or sell them as sections, sections being hooks, hackle, dubbing, fur, hair etc.

For pricing talk to the flybc guys if your not on their yet or haven't posted.  I will mention new 25 pack of tiemco hooks starts at about $7.  I see there are some dry fly hackles as well (Metz middle left in feather photo), those are around $50-80 new, pending grade.

Hope that helps and good luck!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

Nice kit! Lately there have been a couple of similar collections posted in the $200 range. It's hard to say without looking at it as the hook boxes, capes etc may be partially used. If you can and want to, take the old price stickers off the Tiemco boxes since a pack of 25 goes for about double now. Try to get someone in to look and make an offer but be careful they don't try to low ball you. I'd guess this is worth at least in the $100 to $200 range, perhaps more, dependent on finding someone who will offer that.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »

If you can, take it all into Sea Run for an Honest opinion of its worth before putting it up for sale.

If you would like to maybe donate its contents I know there are school groups who would benefit by receiving a collection like this. I believe there was a post on this site?

If not on this site, it is on another. Ken would put all of this to good use. If you need help finding him let me know. If this is the course you would like to take of course. :)

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.  It is very difficult to decide indeed!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »

If you think that's a huge amount of stuff you'd probably pass out if you saw mine Lmao !!!

(I have more materials than both the Langley stores combined  ???)

It's a good looking collection you've got there. I say that you should keep it and learn to tie, you may find you really enjoy it and using stuff that was your grandfathers may add to the enjoyment. Lots of that stuff is good for tying jigs as well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »

If you can, take it all into Sea Run for an Honest opinion of its worth before putting it up for sale.

If you would like to maybe donate its contents I know there are school groups who would benefit by receiving a collection like this. I believe there was a post on this site?

If not on this site, it is on another. Ken would put all of this to good use. If you need help finding him let me know. If this is the course you would like to take of course. :)

This is a great option as well.

I donated a huge pile of materials to a youth group last year. I did it through gentleman on FlyBC
Check out our new blog

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »

This is a great option as well.

I donated a huge pile of materials to a youth group last year. I did it through gentleman on FlyBC
I think I might know who you donated the stuff to
Someone was here

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »

I think I might know who you donated the stuff to

The youth fly group is based in Grand Forks so you may not however I did donate to a youth club based in Maple Ridge a year or two before that..........might be time to re asses my tying lot and donate some more. I know I have a small tote full of dubbings, capes and feathers I won't use.  :o
Check out our new blog