Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surf fishing Hawaii advise  (Read 3706 times)

Silver

Surf fishing Hawaii advise
« on: February 17, 2016, 01:18:28 PM »

I'm travelling to Maui in July and want to be geared up to surf fish. I will be bringing a light spinning outfit for popping, and a heavy oversize rig for dunking.

I have several light rods already...however my ultra light 7' options are probably undersized for the top-water lures used and my reels dont hold much line. My light/medium 9' options are maybe too long? It seems that the Hawaii fishing for live bait rods tend to be light and  7' long...is this because of the style of fishing, or will I be fine with a longer rod?

Also, It seems for the dunking style you can go 'medium sized' with a medium/heavy action rod with appropriate sixed reel (kind of like Fraser bar fishing...11-12 foot rod), or really big 13-15 foot rods with gigantic reels.

I wil be mainly fishing sandy beaches near Lahaina near Kapalua Bay, and also Shipwreck beach on Lanai. I wont be doing the lava jetty hardcore local style.
I would like to fish for my live bait fish, while my bottom rods waits for the big ones.

I would like an approximately 13 foot 3 piece heavy action rod with a tip that can withstand the huculean casts without breakage yet have some sensitivity...the casting style is a violent whip action. Way too many rods to choose from with too many variables to decide. Im not interested in a travel rod as all of the available options are still underpowered...and Im not interested in a custom 4 piece at this time. My budget should not exceed $300 for the one rod.
I have selected a reel for this pole...the Daiwa Saltist 6500. the best part about this reel is the manual bail.

I would not object to a new spinning outfit also, if my current gear is not well suited. None of my stuff is truely salt water either, except I do have a battle2 3500 that I never liked since purchasing for pink salmon fishing.

I will also be supporting the local tackle shop, but want to be at least dialed in with the basic equiptment before I arrive.

Any input will be appreciated...

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Surf fishing Hawaii advise
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:52:02 PM »

Silver

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »

Thanks...I checked it out.

It's a bit too short for my needs. I'll be slide bait fishing and it should be 13 feet+. If I can't find something this size, I'll probably pick up a St Croix 12foot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:46:28 PM by Silver »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »

Did you inquire about equipment rentals down there?

Silver

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »

I did. It seems rentals are available for everything except the big poles. Also, with the Hawaii premium and the poor exchange rate...I may as well purchase something.

charles

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »

Bring your float rod.

I have been to Maui many times.  The common usual way to fish for Trevally or shark is to cast with big surf rod, kind of like shore sturgeon fishing here.  But you need to know the spot so you will be casting into a sand bar rather than reef.  Another common way is to use a sea kayak and either fish off the kayak or your kayak your line and weight out and drop it.

You can also bring a medium spinning or casting rod, use small weight up to 1oz and casting in between reef. 

But the last trip I went 2016, more locals are using float fishing by the pier.  It is your basic slip float setup.  And they are far more effective than just test casting looking for sand bar.

Hope this help.

By the way, you can try joining the mix bag party boat.  They are fairly inexpensive and sometimes you can catch sporting fish as well.  Dont forget about tips to the boat if you do.