Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside Boat Ramp Permanent Closure  (Read 8843 times)

fisharoo

Ambleside Boat Ramp Permanent Closure
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »

West Van council is planning a redesign of Ambleside and are going to close the boat launch.

I know there's may folks out there who use this launch. Not just big boats and trailers, but lots of small guys with their inflatables, car toppers, and kayaks.

"The phased vehicular closure of Argyle Avenue would also result in the removal of the current public boat ramp"
http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/gov/docs/Mayor-and-council/Ambleside/Ambleside%20Waterfront%20Concept%20Plan%20-%20update.pdf

If you want to keep the launch, make sure you get out to the meetings and make your voice heard.

Looks like I missed the one for today, but there are more.

Wed. Feb. 10 | 6:30–8:30 p.m.
Kay Meek Centre, 1700 Mathers Avenue
Doors open at 6:30. Presentation at 7 p.m.

Open Houses
Discuss the key components of the plan and provide your feedback.

Wednesday, Feb. 17 | 4–7 p.m.
West Vancouver Community Centre, Atrium

Thursday, Feb. 25 | 4–7 p.m.

Tuesday, Mar. 1 | 4–7 p.m.

More info on meetings.
http://westvancouver.ca/government/mayor-council/councils-priorities/ambleside-waterfront-concept-plan-consultation

jimstone

Re: Ambleside Boat Ramp Permanent Closure
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »

Launched at Ambleside a few times in 2012 and 2013 and found it to be one of the worst public launches around. Impossible at lower tides,no parking for more than a couple vehicles and trailer and in a very busy spot for people. Hard to believe how poor the public facilities are around the lower mainland compared to south of the border. Ive seen wide ramps for multiple launching,beautiful docks and ample parking facilities and washrooms in all kinds of areas and the fee is usually 6-8 dollars. My boat is 16 feet so launching should be a snap . That ramp at Vanier park is a joke at low tide and the first dock they replaced floated so high it was banging guys windshields. I launch at lots of different places and Rocky Point is about the best but when its busy parking can get trying even with an overflow. Bottom line is we have a beautiful place for all kinds of boaters but substandard public launching facilities

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »

This is sad to hear but doesn't surprise me .
We have some of the best sport fishing and waters but our government thinks that we are just in the way of things.
Look at Washington or Oregon and the facilities they have and you will see that we as sporties are getting hosed big time in B.C.

Tenz85

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »

Seems PNW the boat fishing communities are either more popular or well knit than our boat fishing bunch. Not sure why or how they have better launches than us but sounds like this is the case. Maybe we just keep our boats moored in the water more often rather than launching and trailering?

fisharoo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »

If you don't want the ramp closed, participate the feedback survey on the design plans here:

http://westvancouver.ca/westvancouverITE/#peak_democracy

The important questions/pages for fishers to give feedback are (it's fine to skip the other stuff):
2. Is there anything that you think would improve the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan?
4. What considerations do you think should guide the District’s implementation of this key component of the plan? (Expanding Opportunities for Waterfront Activities: A New/Enhanced Hollyburn Sailing Club and Seaside Bistro) ---- this is the area where they are closing the ramp and turning it into a  exclusive rentals place.
9. What considerations do you think should guide the District’s implementation of this key component of the plan? (Being at the Water: Piers and Boat Ramp)

This doesn't just effect the big guys with trailers. It also effect small guys with car-topper inflatables and kayaks. They are closing the road, so there will be no access to the ramp.
12. Do you have any other comments about the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »

SSSsooooooooo.... the ramp is now closed, correct??  I can't find anything online confirming it was closed - just references to the fact that it will close by the end of 2016..... I'm assuming that happened??

Where do you put in with smaller boats now?? I have a 12' tinny and an 8hp - not exactly built for long runs in windy weather!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:05:12 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »

ramp closed!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »

ramp closed!

sad news.... hmmmm well, any suggestions where to launch a small boat from a trailer to fish that area?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »

lionsgate marina   40 dollars  opens 7am

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »

West Van council is planning a redesign of Ambleside and are going to close the boat launch.

I know there's may folks out there who use this launch. Not just big boats and trailers, but lots of small guys with their inflatables, car toppers, and kayaks.

"The phased vehicular closure of Argyle Avenue would also result in the removal of the current public boat ramp"
http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/gov/docs/Mayor-and-council/Ambleside/Ambleside%20Waterfront%20Concept%20Plan%20-%20update.pdf

If you want to keep the launch, make sure you get out to the meetings and make your voice heard.

Looks like I missed the one for today, but there are more.

Wed. Feb. 10 | 6:30–8:30 p.m.
Kay Meek Centre, 1700 Mathers Avenue
Doors open at 6:30. Presentation at 7 p.m.

Open Houses
Discuss the key components of the plan and provide your feedback.

Wednesday, Feb. 17 | 4–7 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 25 | 4–7 p.m.

Tuesday, Mar. 1 | 4–7 p.m.

More info on meetings.
http://westvancouver.ca/government/mayor-council/councils-priorities/ambleside-waterfront-concept-plan-consultation

Cave man politicians.
Their minds are warped. Does not Vancouver & area sit next to a large body of water?
Stores / marine co sell boats / outboards of every size & shape.
Reminds me of River Road that existed where the Skating Oval is now.
Area is closed & permanent detour with stop signs traffic lights ...bottle next traffic.
Before cars could zip from west Richmond & turn at various roads...
Snap of the finger one made distance.
Even Emergency Vehicles...police ambulance fire said it was not a good idea.
Oh not to mention the extra green gases / smog the gov. states they are so concerned about.
Boat launches are a low importance to the big shots & the big shots can afford marina services at 1000s of $$$$  >:(
( happy for rich but for the high up guys who make decisions like this Pi me off. ( so to say )   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »

I'm posting this information for forum member Paulo:

Update of the Status of the Ambleside Boat Launch, June 20, 2017
Ambleside Boaters Group (Stakeholders)

The closure of the existing boat ramp at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver in October of 2016 (as per the recommendations of the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan, passed by Council in June 2016) has precluded small trailered motorized vessels from accessing the waters of West Vancouver and beyond for recreational purposes such as general boating and fishing. This forces small vessels to travel greater distances at greater risk to reach this popular destination. The nearest public launch on the North Shore is 11 miles away at Cates Park. Horseshoe Bay area is also 11 miles from Ambleside. Vanier Park offers a launch which would require transiting busy shipping lanes to access the West Vancouver waterfront
The Ambleside area has an excellent fishery which has been fostered by the Capilano Fish Hatchery over 50 plus years. The West Vancouver shoreline provides miles of fabulous boating opportunities. Closure of the ramp to trailer access has restricted access to this precious resource.
The Ambleside Boaters Group feels that The District of West Vancouver should have a responsibility to provide access to the water for these user groups.
The motion passed by the District Council in June 2016 stated:
3 (a) Close vehicular access to the boat launch and explore alternative vehicle accessible boat ramp locations.
Since that time the Ambleside Boaters Group has been following various leads and awaiting the report which has still not been made public, although we understand that it has been completed.
Here is a summary of the actions taken by the Ambleside Boaters Group prior to the June Council meeting and up to the end of 2016:

Attended several of the public information sessions
Met with senior staff members of Parks, Engineering and Community Planning February 25th 2016 and followed up with written minutes, including the statement that Parks would review the possible location at the welcoming jetty.
Attended the Stakeholder’s meeting of April 28, 2016 coordinated by the District staff.
Wrote a follow up letter dated May 5, 2016 re: the Stakeholder’s meeting, to Senior Manager of Parks, Manager of Parks Operations and Manager of Community Planning
Emailed to Mayor and Council May 6, 2016 regarding retention of access to the waterfront for trailered vessels
Interviewed by CKNW Radio talk show host Jill Bennett who requested a follow up regarding this issue
Attended the Kay Meek Theater presentation May 9, 2016
Met with Senior Manager of Parks and Manager of Parks Operations on May 31, 2016 and recapped our position regarding retention of access for trailered vessels and asked if any investigation had been done re this matter. None had been done
Wrote an extensive report and submitted to Mayor and Council June 7, 2016. “The conclusion of this study is that the removal of the ramp would increase potential for recreational boaters to take unnecessary risks to reach the Ambleside area, that there is significant public support for the retention of access to the water for trailered vessels in the Ambleside area, and that there is a potentially viable economic solution for a new ramp in this immediate area.  The District should formally acknowledge a replacement strategy for the ramp and maintain access to the current ramp until such time as a new location within the District is available for public use.”
Interviewed by CBC Television on the day of the council meeting.
Attended and spoke at the June 13, 2016 Council meeting. There were significant numbers of people speaking against the removal of access for trailered vessels and the motion made was worded “3 (a) Close vehicular access to the boat launch and explore alternative vehicle  accessible boat ramp locations”
Letter to Mayor and council June 17, 2016, requesting further stakeholder consultation with us as users of the boat ramp, and requesting that Council consider linking the closure of the existing ramp to reinstatement of a new ramp in the immediate area, and impose a timeline on the selection of a new ramp location as they have for the closure of the existing ramp.
Made a presentation at the Port Metro sponsored North Shore Liaison Committee on June 30, 2016 outlining the safety concerns associated with closure of the existing ramp and diversion of boat traffic to more distant locations, transiting through shipping lanes, and the inability of smaller vessels to travel through First Narrows.
Applied through the Freedom of Information act and attained the report requested by District staff in 2013 entitled “Preliminary Study of Public Boat Launch Opportunities in West Vancouver” It appears from this report that some energy was expended on this issue at that time, however nothing has materialized as yet.

We were disappointed to hear the December 5, 2016 Council update that the discussion around this issue has not only been delayed, but also consolidated with the “longer term projects as outlined in the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan”.

The issue of access to the water from West Vancouver shoreline was separated from the AWCP early in the approval process when the ramp was taken out of the study area to accommodate the Spirit Trail, and we feel that this issue should be addressed completely separately from the AWCP progress.

We note in the Council update that the terms of reference for the proposed study (marine environmental considerations, regulatory approvals, required infrastructure and costing) do not include one of the most important aspects- boating safety. On numerous occasions we have demonstrated the need for access in this area to mitigate dangerous situations for small vessels transiting shipping lanes, the busy Port area, and potentially rough waters under the Lions Gate Bridge or around Point Atkinson.

Additionally we would like to remind Council of the cost neutral private proposal that was presented to both the Planning Department and several Council members.

Also we would like to make Council aware that the Lions Gate Marina property – which was used by Council as a possible option for launching boats-has recently been sold to a development company as an “Extraordinary Redevelopment Opportunity” which will most likely spell the end of yet another access point to the water, albeit a private one.

In summary:
Boating season is upon us, and safety of boaters is forefront in this issue.
Access for trailered vessels was eliminated in October 2016
The District has commissioned a report which was to have been presented by end of 2016, but will be presented to council in the near future
The terms of reference of this report did not apparently include a study of the safety issues associated with transiting from available launches to the West Vancouver area and beyond.
We as the Ambleside Boaters Group would like to be formally consulted upon presentation of the report to Council regarding alternate ramp locations. This report should be thoroughly vetted, and decisions around this matter should be carefully considered.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »

More info:

Everyone,
We have had some great responses this week - Thank you all! I see that a number of people are interested in attending the meeting we will hold Wednesday evening June 28 at 7 PM- great, and the more the merrier, especially West Vancouver residents!
The purpose of the meeting is to put some names to faces and fill everyone in on what we have been doing. Ultimately we would really appreciate some help with our efforts to reinstate a launch in West Van- we all miss it as boating season is upon us. We will discuss possibilities in this regard and then will be in contact with people afterwards.

Here is the venue:
The meeting place is located at 1514 Marine in West Vancouver on the second floor with access from the back lane. It is located on the south side of Marine Drive two buildings west of 15th between “Bean around the World” and “Flight Centre”.  There is parking in the back off the lane which is where you would access the office through the glass door and go up the stairs to your left.  We share the parking with the lower tenant who is Hollyburn Eye Clinic.  Parking is on the west side of the driveway, but I would suggest you find street parking and just walk to the rear.
May be standing room only so if you wish to sit bring along a lawn chair.

If people could give a quick reply either attending or not attending, it would help us figure out numbers. We will start promptly at 7PM.
Thanks,
Andrew and Phil

RyanB

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »

West Van is a sad community of old farts.  Whenever I fish on Ambleside Pier, I am guaranteed to have my picture taken multiple times and have my ear talked off by tourists who are DESPERATE to see something...ANYTHING...happening in West Van.

Best thing to do would be to close the Lion's Gate bridge and keep them in their coffins.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »

Rich locals don't want the traffic of 'outsiders' coming to their beaches and promenades.  Nor do they want boat traffic messing with their views.  Simple as that.  NIMBY-ism.

dobrolub

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »

You are missing the point. It's all about money.