Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Belcarra - Crabbing Feb 7th, 2016  (Read 2394 times)

RyanB

Belcarra - Crabbing Feb 7th, 2016
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

Threw traps from shore, used duck feet for bait just for the hell of it.  Too lazy to drive and get my regular bait. :)
11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Caught two small female and one small male dungeness.
Caught two red rock males above legal size, kept them.  Made soup from legs and ate claw meat.
Last hour: zero in traps even with fresh bait.

Fishing for flounder, greenling, etc.  Not a single bite.  Foul hooked a small striped sea perch.

Duck feet is terrible bait.  Not bloody enough to attract anything.  Not the best time of year for crabbing but still terrible results.  Even the seagulls weren't thrilled when I threw the old bait in the water.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Belcarra - Crabbing Feb 7th, 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:23:46 PM »

Interesting, I've been thinking of using Mallard carcass to try for bait for something different. Usually fish from a boat with 2 guys 4 traps so maybe I'll just try it in a productive spot in one trap first.
Like you said maybe the feet just don't have enough to them to get a good scent trail.

TimL

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

I was thinking a whole duck carcass may make decent crab bait as duck is very greasy. Chicken soup bones usually do the trick for me. I sometimes combine them with some fish carcasses to spice up the scent.

RyanB

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:15 AM »

Mallard carcass will probably work great.  I would chop it up and crack the bones.  Two of the best baits are duck and turkey neck.  I get them fresh and bloody for cheap but I just didn't want to bother this time. 

The problem with the feet is they are mostly bone and skin.  Bought them at the T&T for less than $3 for ten feet.

I avoid chicken because the seals love it and will tear the mesh traps apart to get it.  Squid and fish heads also attract seals.  Beef and pork don't attract seals but aren't great for attracting crab.  Cat food in tins with puncture holes didn't work for me. 

The best baits for me are 1) bloody and fresh 2) doesn't attract seals 3) cheap

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

TimL

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »

The nylon mesh bags have worked great for me in keeping seals out. They have a tough time chewing through the mesh.

Silex-user

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »

Salmon makes worse crab bait for me. Too many seal trying or ripping the trap apart. I used chicken backs or sometime necks. Once awhile I get small flounders in  the traps. My best time to fished for crabs is late March to June before the commercial fisherman starts up. I take the boat out to White Rock and set it over night.

Silex user