Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nfr What is Wrong Here?  (Read 13945 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: nfr What is Wrong Here?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »

Ya, I think some words or proper explanation is missing from the OP's post where some feel the OP was  wrong.
In an ATTENDED vehicle: parking close shouldn't really be an issue if one is paying attention.
Unattended = different story.

There are 3 sides to any story:
Yours
Theirs
and the Truth.

http://lifehacker.com/5883760/how-to-deal-with-an-funny dude-parker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2288497/And-thought-bad-parking-Hilarious-pictures-worlds-worst-drivers-leave-cars.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/park-ahole-website-watching/story?id=12122207

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »

I love all you guys giving him a hard time for being too close. I know for a fact all of you have done the exact same thing from time to time. The level of self ritiousness is unreal around here. The enraged guy is 100% in the wrong here, all it would take is a polite tap on the window and ask the guy for room. If you gave attitude after the polite tap, then he has every right to get angry.

"Hello kettle, you are looking a little black."
Fly tech,

Everyone has agreed that the guy acted inappropriately (even criminally).  All we said is that parking there, too close to the guy's door and expecting him to climb in through his passenger door, was impolite of CS.  For that, you have labelled us all "self-righteous dochebag trolls." Please do not try to justify your own impolite behaviour by insisting everyone does it too, this is precisely what is wrong in the world today and the point I made on the River Ettiquette thread.  It's like claiming that it is okay that you speed because everyone else does, while at the same time you honk and swear as you pass those that are driving the speed limit.  Polite society can only exist if we all agree to be polite, even when it is inconvenient to do so.  At my own local outdoors store (one with frustratingly small spaces given most patrons drive pickups), I pulled in next to a pickup that was double parked.  I pulled into the one and a half spaces but then pulled out, straighten out, and pulled into the full space.  The guy getting out of the double parked vehicle commented that he had thought I was going to join him in sharing the extra wide space.  I just smiled and commented at how inconvenient the smaller spaces were for our large trucks.  Yes, I could have double parked, and it would have been acceptable to that other driver as it would have justified his own double parking.  But I chose not to, even though I may be inconvenienced by someone parking too close to me, because it was the polite thing to do for the rest of the parking public.   CS's impolite behaviour in no way justified the guy's abusive and criminal behaviour, however, it was undoubtedly an agrevating factor.  The polite thing for him to do would have been to knock on the window and ask the driver to pull out.  He obviously was not interested in being polite to the the guy who impolitely parked next to him, and he went with the "everyone else is impolite so why should I be?" approach, and then he proceeded to take it to "crazy" instead. Bottom line is that it all could have been avoided if everyone involved had acted politely, and as Ralph pointed out, no one acted politely in that situation.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:16:50 AM by Rodney »
Not all those who wander are lost

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »

*shakes head*

ribolovac02

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »

I think you guys should go fishing more... ;D

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

I think society has become so immersed in this "ME ME ME" attitude that they don't care anymore. If only people can just take a moment and be kind to each other, the world will be a better place.

For example, my wife works in a pharmacy and signs are everywhere- "SCENT FREE ENVIRONMENT".
Guess what? Some staff members just doesn't care.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »

Two issues- South Surrey and boxing the guy in. If my truck don't fit in the parking spot, I don't park there. Buddy's reaction mind u was over the top. in this day and age,common courtesy is gone.

islanddude

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »

'' just can't get any respect.'' or ''I get no respect.'' Rodney Dangerfield. '' Lets go fishing'' The ardent angler. Put away your crying towels you are making the river get dirty.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »

Notice how they make parking spots allot smaller these days? Just to make more spots. They should increase the size of parking spots. If you cant park in a spot without parking ON the line than dont park there. I park in the back of parking lots, the walk wont kill you.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hrenya

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 06:08:20 AM »

That reminded me my parking problem situation :)
I live in Richmond and I had long box truck , our parking is single lane in a middle - left parking spots - right side walk and lawn .
Both of the guys on each side of me parked almost on a line torwards me (1 closer left , 1 closer right) and that game 0 chances to park between them without driving over a lawn . Manager saw me do that few times a tried to give me "cupcakes" , but I throw him my key and asked him to park better :) he looked on a tiny spot where I had to park , shook his head and said - I saw nothing . Good thing for me was the guy on a left always had a passenger , and a guy on the right was buy him self ... So few times , I bent my mirrow on each side of my truck and park millimeters away :) it was a winning feeling watching the guy climbing from passenger door   :) also a winning situation under rain a guy had to back up a few times and finally pick up his passenger from another side of me :) guess what , after that , they both park away from lines close to me :)

Electroman

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »

I think you guys should go fishing more... ;D

Exactly what I was thinking...Or fishing must be slow.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »

Notice how they make parking spots allot smaller these days? Just to make more spots.

while true - cars are generally smaller but pickups etc have gotten larger - much larger. Ever think of the expense and waste using up land to park cars? Business makes no money from free parking. Where I live the land to park 20 vehicles is worth about $800k. Paved lots absolutely stink in the environmental sense. It's worse for fish (toxic run off among other problems) than anything else. I like your solution but it's better to take transit or walk if it's practicable.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »

while true - cars are generally smaller but pickups etc have gotten larger - much larger. Ever think of the expense and waste using up land to park cars? Business makes no money from free parking. Where I live the land to park 20 vehicles is worth about $800k. Paved lots absolutely stink in the environmental sense. It's worse for fish (toxic run off among other problems) than anything else. I like your solution but it's better to take transit or walk if it's practicable.
How about the all the wasted land used on roadways? ::)

I doubt there's many business owners that hate having their parking lot in front of the store. At least out here in the valley. You sure wouldn't get much business out my way if you had no parking lot as transit is a joke. Maybe where you live it's a different story. If you're in the city then there's probably lots of under grounds in which case they have used the land wisely.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

perhaps business owners don't mind it but I'd bet developers and local governments would prefer other business or residences to flat pavement.  You of course didin't address the known and well documented environmental issues. An yes there is too land wasted on roadways and highways - society and technology is moving away from it in 50+ years our landscape may look radically different. People may travel differently as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »

Hold on here.
There are so many incongruities in your story that I do tend to believe that you were the offender and not the other guy. Sure, he could have kept his reaction in check, but you were the one who provoked the conflict.

You say in your opening "So anyway, I was in the parking lot at a grocery store in South Surrey sitting in the car reading my e-mails on my phone before going in. I had to park pretty close to the guy beside me because the other guy next to me had gone into my space a bit.
The next thing I know this enraged guy (a bit overweight and probably about 58-60) starts yelling and swearing at me for no apparent reason."

No apparent reason? You just stated that you were aware you had parked too close to his truck preventing him from entering on the driver's side.

Then you say: "Luckily I had the doors locked, thanks to the reputation the area has for car theft and assault.

And then you repeat: "So I'm sitting there and I have no idea why the guy is doing this and I politely asked him what's up. He kept yelling and swearing, dropping f-bombs left and right without ever really trying to tell me why he's so mad. Besides the swearing, all I could make out was "get lost you maniac."

Then you state: "I finally figured out that he couldn't get the door of his truck open."

Not true, mister. You KNEW you were parked too close for him to open his door. Don't underestimate our intelligence, please.

Then you continue: "I tried to politely apologize and explain to him that that I had to park so close to him because the guy next to me had parked too close to me."

What makes you believe that he could hear your polite apology through a closed car door when you said earlier that with the doors closed you couldn't make out what he was yelling to you?

And then comes the bomb: "I also suggested that he could just climb in on the other side of his truck."

Let me get this straight: YOU asked someone to enter their car on the passenger side when YOU were encroaching their parking space and preventing them from opening their driver's door?
Seriously? What planet are you from, man? 

Then you go on to whine that "he didn't even listen to me and had instead walked over to his truck and had started banging his door against the side of my car".

Trust me, you are lucky that's all he did considering your appalling rudeness towards him.

You think that it is easy for a 60-year-old overweight person to climb on the other side of his truck and just shift to the driver side, huh? Well, I have news for you. For many people it is not!
Put yourself in the other person's shoes before you draw any conclusions.

Even if the person is fit and all, what if the space on the other side is narrow, too? Did you even bother to check?

If it had been me, I know that I would have been awfully frustrated to see entry to my car blocked by an inconsiderate punk browsing his cellphone when he clearly knows he is too close to my car. I would have hoped to hear your engine being started and see your car moving out of there even before I got to the side of my car.

Your final thought: I thought that Canada was all about preserving a just society.
It is, indeed. But a just society is one in which your rights stop where another person's rights begin .

What part of it you don't understand?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:45:06 PM by milo »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »

Both offenders should lose their license. Bad behaviour all around.