Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing from the beach in Vancouver  (Read 9705 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
fishing from the beach in Vancouver
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »

I liked Vancouver so much when I was there a couple of weeks ago that I'm taking my wife back to show it to her about a week from now.

While I was there I made a trip with a local friend one evening to Wreck Beach.  It was high tide and I noticed a seal close to shore working some kind of fish.  Anyway, this upcoming trip isn't going to be a fishing trip, but I thought I might as well throw in the spinning outfit just in case.  Might one catch fish somewhere along the beach?  Any advice or suggestions?  Thanks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:fishing from the beach in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:37:01 PM »

Try the mouth of the Capilano and along the West Vancouver shoreline. You will stand a good chance of hooking a coho.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »

It's not fish you'll hook up with on Wreck Beach LOL

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:37:08 AM »

The Seal was probably after Smelts which are spawning on local beaches now.

The place you were at doesn't attract Salmon generally except on a cool windy morning/high tide Coho/Pinks will move in and feed.

Sockeye can sometimes be seen in close swirling around later in August because the bay is so full of fish they have to go somewhere-they aren't feeding though but sometimes one is caught off Ambleside.

Ambleside is on the other side of the bay near the mouth of the Capilano River.

Lots of fish there now-small stale Coho waiting out their sad short lives jumping and thrashing waiting for rain to raise the water in the river-they could be waiting a while.

They do occasionally take a lure thus the Gong Show the hundreds and hundreds of people all trying to catch/kill something.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 05:34:31 PM »

[thread hijacks deleted]

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 05:43:49 PM »

I've been sitting here laughing for about five minutes.  I knew this was a pretty long shot, but I'm just trying to make the best of this situation.  This trip is mostly about urban stuff--the city, places to eat, museums--because that's the stuff that interests my wife.  I had a fishing trip a couple of weeks ago, after all.  But I figure after a couple of days of that kind of sightseeing it would be nice to have an excuse to get away with a fishing pole for a while . . . and Wreck Beach looked kind of "interesting" shall we say, and there is water there, and it is connected to the ocean, and I know how to get there, and, well, you probably get the idea.  I thought perhaps there might be a rock fish or sand dab or flounder in that part of the bay.

Anyway, thanks all for the entertaining and informative comments, and if I happen to get anything more than wrecked on Wreck Beach or any of those other places mentioned (more ideas accepted), I'll send in a report.  I won't be trying the Ambleside location sam salmon mentions.  That sounds like combat fishing to me--not my style.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:34:47 PM »

This may not be as exotic, but still pretty fun I think:

Come down to Steveston. Garry Point Park is located at the southwestern tip of Richmond. You just need to bring a small spinning outfit with some small lures. Spincast from shore. And since fishing is not the main objective, I also suggest the following:

Picnic: The park is popular for people who want to picnic. It's located at the mouth of the Fraser River so you get to see lots of wildlife, and also the big cargo ships that go in and out of the river.

Fish & Chips: Steveston has awesome fish and chips. Pajo's by Garry Point Park is a good place. You can also walk into Steveston Village where more restaurants are located.

The cannery Museum: Five minute walk east of Garry Point Park you'll find the cannery museum, a worthy visit for the tourist! Make sure you see the short films, join the tour (the guide is very informative) and learn about the ups and downs of BC fisheries.

Some nice touristy shops in Steveston Village too, also walk down to the dock to see what seafood the commercial boats are selling. From there, you can walk along the river all the way to London's Landing and you'll probably see lots of birdlife etc.

Nostro

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 03:17:50 PM »

Go to Wreck Beach! You can fish any day. The sights are incredible! Then go to Steveston and buy yourself a sockeye.
That's what I call a great day. Enjoy Vancouver!
Never look a fish in the eye.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 03:22:34 PM »

What can you catch from Garry Point this time of year ?

Bantam_50

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 07:52:37 PM »

What can you catch from Garry Point this time of year ?

Crabs  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 09:41:41 PM »

Casting from shore at the Pink Apartment. Only problem is having to answer all the passer bys' question: Any luck ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 12:42:03 AM »

Garry Point Park this time of the year:

Peamouth chub (up to 25cm), northern pikeminnow (up to 3lb), largescale sucker (up to 2lb), sculpin (various sizes, species dependent), spiny dogfish, the odd jacks, bull trout, cutthroat trout, redside shiner.

Pick one. ;D

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 06:29:22 PM »

what do the dogfish take? Do they ever take lures?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 06:31:43 PM »

You will do better with bait than lure for dogfish.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 08:05:58 PM »

I'm really glad I started this thread that I suspected was going to come across as really dumb.  Turns out there is a lot of fishing to be done in and around Vancouver.  I suppose you folks realize what a great place it is where you live.  Next Monday, down on the beach or out on that point Rodney mentioned, if you see a geezer with a reverse mohawk (nothing in the middle, long on the sides) and a white beard flailing the water, that probably will be me.

Thank you all for the good information again, and for those humorous responses that got deleted too--I got a good laugh out of them.