Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch rods!  (Read 2980 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Switch rods!
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »

What fun!

First time in the park I was able to get to the backing on a single lift and back cast. Pretty cool! Not that it matters, but it's satisfying. I think what really matters the most is how long you can make a roll cast work. Some of the vids where people are able to roll cast clear across the river are pretty impressive. I think I was getting 30' at most, which has to be good enough to start.

Got it set up with a Rio switch chuck line. A few more days of practice before I can try it out in some water...

Stantonius

Re: Switch rods!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »

Nice! It's pretty cool being able to cast a good distance with switch and speys. I just got into the two handed rods this year. Absolutely love them.. Especially the switch. I've found where it feels great to be able to cast 60 plus feet, I actually have not found a river in the lower mainland that I've needed to.  Maybe on some of the widest stretches in the Squamish, but even then there's absolutely no need to as the fish are 10 yards out. Sure get a good full swing drift with them though.. Good pick on the Rio switch chucker too.  Wow do I ever want to go fishing now! Congrats on the new setup!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Switch rods!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

Thanks! Sea Run set me up with all the right fixings. Can't wait for some water time...