Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake, January 18th - 20th 2016  (Read 2553 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tunkwa Lake, January 18th - 20th 2016
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »

We're spending three days filming ice fishing up here at Tunkwa Lake Resort. We arrived at Noon today, and headed out for a few hours of scouting once we settled in. Pretty challenging fishing at the beginning but it picked up a bit near the end of the day. Here is the first rainbow trout landed by Miss Everyday, on a tiny meal worm tipped on a jighead.

More reports to come tomorrow night. :)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Tunkwa Lake, January 18th - 20th 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »

Don't leave your brass monkeys on the porch..... ;)
http://

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »

That looks like a nice little trout for dinner.  8)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:49 PM »

Hmmm. Rodney keeps posting pictures of this young lady but no more of Nina since this past Summer. Is the rumour true, has Nina stopped fishing with Rod now that Rod is finally able to out fish Nina. Or has the reality of a young family finally caught up to the FWR Royal Couple?

I sure miss ice fishing but I can still fish the soft water in Mill Lake.

Nice picture btw. I remember that slush covered lake ice.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »

That looks like a nice little trout for dinner.  8)

We cooked one up (the one in the first pic) one night and it was really good! We actually forgot our seasonings so only baked it with butter, couldn't believe how well it turned out.

Here are some more photos from the trip. As always, Al, Richard and Thomas went out of their way to make our stay really enjoyable. We really lucked out with the weather. We had overcast for two of the days, so it stayed pretty mild. We had sun on another day after a really foggy morning. It never snowed so we could fish all the time, didn't need to use the tents.

The fishing was good for others, terrible for me. Somehow I didn't catch a single fish in four days. :o Ice fishing is a little tougher than I expected... :-\

Biggest fish landed by others were about 2lb. Fishing was best in the afternoon from 3pm to 4pm. They would suddenly come on the bite. Dew worm seemed to work better than the cured deli shrimp I brought. Meal worm also worked.

We filmed a little tutorial with Al, talking about how to get started in this fishery for anyone who is interested in heading up to Tunkwa. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfjnnsyxII

More pix and full story in our blog later on. :)

If you are thinking about heading up there, I think the cabins are mostly booked on the next three weekends now. Weekdays are pretty quiet, we were one of the two or three groups who were up there during the week. No one else was fishing on the lake so lots of room... ;) Because our group was quite big, we stayed in the luxury log cabin, which is totally worth it because it's fully equipped with heat, kitchen, bathrooms.

Their website:

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com