Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies  (Read 5270 times)

fishallday

flies
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:54 PM »

hey guys any one have some recommendations for bull trout flies ?
I tied up a few rolled muddlers just wondering what else is good.
life's short stunt it

colin6101

Re: flies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »

I've caught my biggest bulls on large white marabou and rabbit fur flies. They usually have a decent amount of flash in them and I am assuming they are taken as bait fish patterns. Others due well with large sculpin patterns as well.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »

Big weighted Sculpins are my go to.  When I say big, I mean as in 2" on the small size up to 4-5" on the large side, often articulated with a trailing hook.  Natural colours when the water is clear, as in olives, light tans and browns.  If the water is coloured then go with all white, white/grey and or white/black rabbit strips (all with some form of flash), as in the Dolly Llama:

If you are tying your own, and do not want to tie the articulated variety, a zonker style tie works well, with contrasting rabid top and bottom, like this:

Also make sure that you make them heavy, with lead wire around the hook shank and/or big dumbbell eyes or sculpin head.  If you are not touching bottom on the swing, it's not heavy enough.

You can also use beaded leeches/buggers in black, brown or olive and various colours of egg sucking leeches.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

I use a couple flies but the go too is a white articulated double bunny with polar flash about 5" long.  Top it off with a fish skull bait fish head.  The fly sinks and moves nicely.  I also make sure the hooks at the back and it has a fish holding shape (Gamakatsu b10s size 2)

ajransom

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »

hey guys any one have some recommendations for bull trout flies ?
I tied up a few rolled muddlers just wondering what else is good.

Steelhead flies - bulls aren't too picky, so might as well try for a steelhead and be happy with a bull. That being said anythink leech, or woolly buggerish works well.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

A few of my favs.