Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yesterday was almost the day...  (Read 8028 times)

Stantonius

Yesterday was almost the day...
« on: December 27, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »

I have been swinging flies for steelhead on the Vedder for about 10 outings now (last year and this year combined) with no success. Well yesterday a freight train hit my Blue Moon pattern and peeled line like nothing I had felt..  It was about 3pm and I was thinking another day without even a bite then it happened. The fish hit my fly and launched out of the water, tail walking for about 10-15 yards (no exaggeration), leaving slack loop lines and went under and peeled like another 40 yards in about 2 seconds. I started to reel in feeling the weight and aggression this trout had. He then jumped and turned and b-lined right toward me.. I started stripping in a frenzy trying to get ground missing strips with the panic... Then my head made the rod tip I lifted and he was gone... My fly still intact and me just standing in the water blank. The whole event lasted maybe 10 seconds but I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. I even woke up last night thinking of it. There's no real point to this story. It's Fly fishing Cafe and perhaps I'm seeing it as a support group for those that had the fish get away  :), but man I cannot wait to get back on the water!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Yesterday was almost the day...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »

It's always the ones that get away that keep you coming back for more.

Great write up, I have experienced similar things with fish lost however mine usually shake off when they are completely airborne.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »

Catching your first steelhead on a fly is like losing your virginity, someting you don't forget ;)
I remember that fish very well... the homemade fly, the run, the date, even the weather and this event was about 40 years ago.  As this is a family site, I won't discuss the other ;D

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »

Steelhead are great no matter how they are caught, but there is something about doing it on the fly that is something special. I know the excitement and some of most memorable fish have been ones that got away after putting on a show.

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »

Yes, the quest continues... The good thing is I now know my setup (flies, leader length and casting) are working. After 50+ hours of water time, I was starting to double guess my gear and technique, but after the take of that Boxing Day brute I know it's working. You really gotta hunt these fish down and that makes it quite exciting when you do lock into one. Round 2 is going to be great and I think armed with that bit more of confidence is going to make the difference. Here's to another 50+ hours!  :)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »

There is a lot of point to your post it gets all those Virgin fly steel headers geared up and those that are not new to this awesome way to hook/catch the mighty Steelhead.

I remember my first Steelhead on my new Spey set up (first day out) I was not expecting to hook up as I was testing my casting skill with a new set up
the fish hit like a solid thump it sure gets the heart pumping
My fish got to live another day as it was wild, I managed to release it without handling the fish, managed to get a picture of it in the water too, guy on the other side applauded my handling skills :D

see you got me pumped up again 8)
Thanks for the report, keep at it and hold on tight to your rod ;)

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »

That sucks but it was worth it to feel that take at least. I was fortunate to land my first Steelhead on the fly on the Chehalis, but it could have gone the same way as what happened to you. I think I got lucky with a good hookset at the beginning because I had the same kind of panic where I had no idea what to do for the first few seconds.

fishallday

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »

aw man very intense story
tight lines
life's short stunt it

tburns

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

Now my heart is pumping in the office...  Can't wait to hit the water again with the fly i just tied last night...  Know that I've been out at least that many times as well on the fly and have yet to get a bite on the vedder (other than a couple bull trout)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »

Awesome! The tug is the drug anyhow, doesn't matter if you don't land it (at least that's what I tell myself whenever I lose a memorable fish)! ;)

My tale (tail? lol) from a few years ago is similar to yours, but I was lucky enough to land her. A chrome hen, wild as could be, and probably one of the top three most memorable fish of the last decade for me. I wrote quite a bit about that day, probably still on one of these fishing sites somewhere.

Keep at it, the first one is always the hardest to get. :)

Cheers,
Tex

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »

Catching your first steelhead on a fly is like losing your virginity, someting you don't forget ;)
I remember that fish very well... the homemade fly, the run, the date, even the weather and this event was about 40 years ago.  As this is a family site, I won't discuss the other ;D

Well the other was only a few years ago  ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »

Well the other was only a few years ago  ;D
OK, I had that coming from a previous post ;)  Happy New year bud :) 

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:53:36 PM »

I've been out many times, and the closest I've got is the leader touch. So aggravating, but so worth the time spent to even get that close. Good on you, hope it happens again soon. My wife on the other hand has landed a Summer run. :)

roseph

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »

Congrats, nothing like chasing after your first steelhead on the fly.  I think I hooked 6 or 7 before landing my first.  I still lose fish on the regular, mostly when they swim quickly towards me like yours did. 

It's nice to land fish and sometimes get a pic to remember them, but really that initial yank and the tailwalk (if you get one) is the by far the best part imo.