Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Fishing For Carp  (Read 5001 times)

sandy999

Fly Fishing For Carp
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

The other day I got into a conversation with some guys on the river about fly fishing for carp. Is there actually a fishery for them. Is there only a certain time of year to fish for them. Where would a fellow go to try to catch one. Please PM me with any information that you may be willing to share if you not wish to post the information.

Barbelface

Re: Fly Fishing For Carp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »

In the uk I would use a fly outfit to present floating dog biscuits for large carp. Don't pre soak the baits but use in their dehydrated form and attach to the shank of the hook with a little superglue. Obviously you only have a certain amount of time in the water before you have to re-bait the hook.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »

There is an excellent carp on the fly fishery near Vancouver, but it is kept fiercely private and off Internet forums. It takes place in a few of the sloughs on the north side of the Fraser and the fishing is just starting. It gets better in February and March.

Sorry I can not be more specific, but the last thing I want is to see half a dozen guys sitting at my spot next time I go there.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »

Find some backwaters in the early spring and just watch for them.  They will jump and thrash and splash like mad as this is their mating season.

Most urban lakes and all the sloughs have carp, including very large ones.  Carp fight very well and pound for pound rival many 'game' species.

My advice is to get out and explore, it won't take very long to see them jumping or cruising the shallows.  Can't miss them.

BC Fishing

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »

Deer lake & Burnaby lake are two options near the city have plenty of carp. HUGE carp. The size of a Chinook. They are caught by coarse fishermen once in a while. However Burnaby lake has a great spot for sight fishing carp with a fly rod!!

After I caught several baby carp with a chironomid 1' under an indicator off the rowing club docks at Burnaby lake, I went to try my luck to the piers at the opposite side of the lake.

It is extremely flat & shallow. A walkway extends into the flats. People walk down the walkway and feed the ducks. Giant carp literally follow the ducks around and eat what falls on the bottom. Many times they get as 1m close to you, before being spooked. They are spooked when they see you too close, or your fly rod. The water is crystal clear and 2-3-4 feet deep. There are plenty of logs and snags on the bottom, so dragging a nymph on the bottom is just a way to rake out the branches from the bottom xD As I learned the hard way...  Casting near a carp spooks them. They swim away like a submarine. Dry flies, dog pellets, beetles.. bread... didn't cause a reaction from the carp. The ducks, however... Make they don't come near your surface fly!!!!!!!

The only thing that worked is spotting a carp on the move, casting about 15 feet in front of it. However when they are 3 feet away from my patterns, they swim around them to avoid them.... I even tried using scent.

I suspect that a rabbit fur pattern, placed and wiggled on the bottom will get their attention, I will try that next.

I went during late summer. There is about a dozen giant carp present in the area, with 1-3 of them in constant visual range. People& joggers & kids start arriving around noon.. Do they not go to work on weekdays, or what??? "Are you fishing here? Is the carp poisons? Are you fly fishing? Did you catch anything? Can I stand behind you and watch? Are you catching any trout? Are there trout here? Do you eat the fish? Isn't this area polluted? Can I hold your fly rod? I hope you dont mind if my dog plays in the water right in front of you!" So unless you have nerves of steel, try to avoid such busy times.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:17:38 PM by BC Fishing »