Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death Of The Washington's Steelhead Fishery  (Read 4444 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Death Of The Washington's Steelhead Fishery
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »

http://nwfishingnews.com/the-death-of-washingtons-steelhead-fishery/
Thanks for this post Chris as it shows two things … BC is far ahead in its science of hatchery steelhead programs (only wild native fish to that particular stream are used as broodstock in BC, with the Stave as one exception) as opposed to Washington where one or two stocks were used to augment dozens of rivers, which has led to the decimation of indigenous wild stock genetics, and hence this NOAA review.

The second of course is the thrashing of your theory that “a fish farm is a fish farm”.  Substitute the words hatchery program for fish farm and you just might, finally, get it ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »

Thanks for this post Chris as it shows two things … BC is far ahead in its science of hatchery steelhead programs (only wild native fish to that particular stream are used as broodstock in BC, with the Stave as one exception) as opposed to Washington where one or two stocks were used to augment dozens of rivers, which has led to the decimation of indigenous wild stock genetics, and hence this NOAA review.

The second of course is the thrashing of your theory that “a fish farm is a fish farm”.  Substitute the words hatchery program for fish farm and you just might, finally, get it ;D
Keep your last 2 sentences to the FF topic please. :P ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »

You bet.  Congratulations on your new position as moderator on FWR ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

You bet.  Congratulations on your new position as moderator on FWR ;D
Unofficially since 2002. ;D Now I am off topic.

stsfisher

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »

Chris great read.

Very timely for me actually as I have been doing a lot of research lately on the North Fork Nooksack system, which has just been closed due to returning numbers. One problem I see with all 4 of the proposals is the current agreements for tribal treaties.

Seems at least for the Nooksack system, because of these agreements nets are allowed to be in the water 6 of 7 days in the week. Of theses 6 days I believe they are in the water for 16 hours or more a day. ( I would have to refresh that memory of reading) No I am not wanting to turn this into a Native issue, just stating a fact that would have to change for any of the proposed changes to actually work.

Kendall Creek hatchery on the North Fork did not produce any Steelhead last year? Why? Because they rely on fish making the fish collection ponds. Very hard to collect when they simply can not make it to their destination. If, and in my opinion is the best option #4 they decide to collect native fish for this, they will have to change the way the river is managed including a possible closure until broad are retained. This will become a battle for all stakeholders and I fear it will look like the Fraser river were everyone fights each other for river openings, and their shot at these fish.

I think this is the best option, but it will take a lot of pain staking years before anyone see's the benefit. I do find it very odd that Washington State is so far behind as compared to us here in British Columbia when it comes to Hatchery steelhead production.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:01 AM »

My guess is that with the massive numbers of dams down there, their hatchery production became way more prevalent. As fish couldn't return to their native streams, as brood because of the sheer numbers of dams, they just used stocks from other streams.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »

--As much as it is difficult for us to get along,  in Washington....l the stake holders would rather go to court to try and get their way than negotiate.
--Every time hatchery fish are mentioned in BC... all of the horror stories from Washington surface as reasons to not have any hatchery stock used here.
--Another possible reason (I don't like to even think about) is that Washington has a lot of data because of the Dams. In part because there are electronic counting stations on every Dam. They also track individual steelhead with electronic tags. Some have even shown up in Skaha lake.
--Could be we are not that much better off just that we do not have the data to prove it.