Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River steelhead report  (Read 2410 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River steelhead report
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »

Below is a link to the most comprehensive study done on Chilliwack River steelhead I am aware of.  Although a bit dated (1998) most of what is said still applies, and some information may be even more relevant today.  What I found particularly interesting was the critical role of water temperature on juvenile production.  Anyone interested in these fish, the management issues and why firm numbers are so difficult to obtain on this system should give it a read.  Hey, the river's toast right now anyway ;D

http://www.chilliwackwatershedstrategy.ca/Bibliography/DOCS/vanDishoek_et_al_1998_Wild_Steelhead_Conservation_Plan.pdf

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: Chilliwack River steelhead report
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »

Great read. Thanks for this Dave. Answered my curiosity about Slesse Creek and why it spews out so much dirt. 

The other thing they mentioned was that Chinook are 99% hatchery. I'm guessing they are refering to the Red Chinook in July? Because that number seems high for the fall whites.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River steelhead report
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »

Actually both summer reds and fall whites are nearly all hatchery fish. Both stocks are not suited for wild recruitment in the Chilliwack, although a small number of whites might be produced from Sweltzer Creek.