Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder steelhead.  (Read 6954 times)

Nine

Vedder steelhead.
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »

New to fly fishing here. Would like to try and hit the vedder for steelhead sometime when the rain stops hammering the river.

I've got a 9' 8wt with a sinking tip on it.
What kind of line do you want to use for steelhead and what kind of flies are going to work best?

Spent last year gear fishing with row bags and shrimp to no success so I do understand they're a pain to catch in the first place.
I used to fish.... But then I took an arrow to the knee.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder steelhead.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »

It all depends on the run you are fishing.  The Chilliwack/Vedder system has a tremendous variety of water so I will use everything from full floating line dead drifting single egg and egg sucking leeches and stoneflies, to a variety of sink tips from T3-T11 to swing Intruder, Popsicle and Squidro patterns.
Not all those who wander are lost

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »

If you can get a floating line, grab some verisleaders or polyleaders (basically sink tips) in varying sink rates.  That will allow you to fish multiple water types.

ajransom

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »

If you can get a floating line, grab some verisleaders or polyleaders (basically sink tips) in varying sink rates.  That will allow you to fish multiple water types.

^ good info. However, if you want to save a couple of $, you can just get a couple of 10' pieces of T material (8 and 10 for example), and nail knot loops in each end, and make your own sink tips. Got to Michael and Young, and they will do these for you.

An 8 weight is fine for steelhead, especially in the Vedder. Getting down to them in high water during the winter is the challenge.

Hasport

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »

10' - 15' Versileader in type 3 and type 6 will cover most runs on the CVR.

When the river is high, I actually use a slower sinking tip. As I found majority of my hook ups right at or near shore....basically at the end of the swing in the hang down.

When the river is moderate to lower levels, I only use a T10/T11. In these levels I found most of my hook ups in the middle of chops and seams of deeper water.

If you have the patience, swing in lowish tailouts with a intermediate sink tip and smallish (1-2") flashy flies you will be rewarded greatly.

Learning to manipulate your fly line and sink tips in conjunction has boosted my hook ups.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:03:37 PM by Hasport »

nevertoolate

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »

How does fly fishing for steel head on the Chilliwack compare to float fishing?  I have not had much luck with the float fishing and thinking of giving it a try with my switch rod.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »

How does fly fishing for steel head on the Chilliwack compare to float fishing?  I have not had much luck with the float fishing and thinking of giving it a try with my switch rod.
Vedder fish are heavily pressured. There are runs that are fly friendly but they will also be fished hard by the gear guys.
Assume it requires 100x the effort to catch one on the fly rod vs gear, though if you were an experienced Vedder gear fisherman the chances improve dramatically.
I had one bite in 2 seasons on the fly, while my buddy fishing gear (artificials) behind me had a bite every trip.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »

generally chances get better as spring arrives -late February to the end of April provided the fish numbers are there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »

Avoiding first light is also good for the fly fishers. I have gotten into most of my fish around lunch or later as many of the gear guys have left to go home which lessens the pressure and allows the fish to calm down and go rest back in their shallower areas they prefer to be in
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »

also the time of day when the water water will be warmest.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.