Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the deal with indicator fishing?  (Read 5903 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

What's the deal with indicator fishing?
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »

I'm new to fly fishing and still figuring this out... I'm curious what opinion those who have float fished a lot have of indicator fishing?

I'm debating whether this is worth getting into or just sticking a cpin on my switch and float fishing on the odd day that I want to fish this way. What is better about indicator fishing vs. float fishing with a cpin? Can you get into the casting more than with a cpin? Thoughts and opinions appreciated...

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: What's the deal with indicator fishing?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »

Are you talking about river fishing or lake?
Fly fishing for steelhead with an indicator will always be less effective that float fishing for steelhead. You simply can't get a decent drag free drift with a fly rod, and you likely can't reach the same spots as you can with a float rod.
Fly fishing for trout with an indicator in a small river is fun because you can use much lighter tackle, much better suited to the target. You can also use a much lighter float so sensitivity is improved.
Fly fishing for trout with an indicator on a lake is extremely effective, especially in the spring. Chironomid pupae don't move very fast so a static presentation is best. Spin fishers often imitate that style but with reduced sensitivity.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 06:50:57 PM »

Like Typhoon said, indicator fishing for steelhead is not nearly as effective since the amount of water you can fish effectively is much less.  You can drop a float into more water where no fly line can reach and drift properly, therefore, your chance of intercepting a steelhead is reduced.  However, as a fly fisherman, you know that when you do get that steelhead on a drifted fly under an indicator, it will make you forget the thousand casts you made before.
Not all those who wander are lost

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »

yes I meant Steelhead...so I guess going with the cpin on the switch is the way to go then instead of bothering with an indicator...hows the casting with it?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »

for whatever reason using fly fishing steelhead with an indicator isn't common on the West Coast but it is on the Great Lakes where it is highly effective. Indicator fishing with nymphs on trout streams no matter how large has all but pushed out other ways to fish nymphs though so called Euro nymphing has gained a following. All this means it's highly effective and easy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tburns

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »

i think this video does a pretty good job at explaining the concept of nymphing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m0QbVTWhtw

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »

i think this video does a pretty good job at explaining the concept of nymphing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m0QbVTWhtw

Ineicator nymphing.   Euro is way different

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »

for whatever reason using fly fishing steelhead with an indicator isn't common on the West Coast but it is on the Great Lakes where it is highly effective. Indicator fishing with nymphs on trout streams no matter how large has all but pushed out other ways to fish nymphs though so called Euro nymphing has gained a following. All this means it's highly effective and easy.

Yes, I have probably caught as many steelhead indicator fishing as I have on a swung or stripped fly.
Not all those who wander are lost

wizard

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

You can still "swing" with an indicator.  One of my favourite Bullie tactic is drifting a streamer, keeping drifts short and swinging it into the shore at the end of the drift...they often hit right near shore.  Indicators can be versatile.  obviously can't cover the amount of water as drifting or drift as long but certain waters it is effective as anything else. no need to go out waiding up to your waist either.  Am usually indicator fishing from shore fishing more of the shallow slower water.
If you plan on doing more swinging use a casting style, oval shaped indicator oppose to perfectly round ones, allows more streamline presentation, easier to cast and pick up off water as well.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »

I like putting my pin on my switch and carry my fly reel in my backpack as well if I want to switch up and swing some flies. My switch bends to the cork when I am fighting a steelhead so I like that about it, plus its a little longer than my other pin rods that I use for steelhead. The only two big downsides are: I won't fish bait when using my pin/switch because I really don't want to stain the cork. The second and probably the biggest downfall is how soft the rod usually is. What I mean by this is that you lose a lot of the power when setting the hook because the rod is really soft. I have lost a considerable amount of steelhead when fishing my pin/switch because the hook just doesn't seem to plant well because you don't have the stiffness if your rod.