Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Level wind out of sync  (Read 7550 times)

bmynbr

Level wind out of sync
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

Might be a dumb question. But when you get a birds nest and break off, how do you get the reel sync with the level wind. It seems like it is always the opposite to what it should be. I normally just give a light cast and then hand bomb a bunch of line out. Then reel it back in. Only problem is if you get a fish that runs you can end up getting into the line that is spooled wrong.
Thanks dave

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Level wind out of sync
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about.  :-\

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

I've run into this problem before too. If you have the right tool with you, you can loosen off the worm gear/line guide thingy and move it closer to where it should be. It sure sucks to have to unspool the whole reel and wind it back up again  :o

I just fish with a centerpin now and avoid that problem all together

sugartooth

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »

Loosen off the drag. Hold your line firmly and reel in until the line guide is where you want it re-tighten your drag. Also note to make sure that the line guide will be traveling in the same direction as your line comes off the spool.

bmynbr

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »

Thanks sugartooth. I'll give that a try. 
Sbc hris. It's on my shore fishing sturgeon rod. Don't thing a centerpin would work too well for me. Lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

Loosen off the drag. Hold your line firmly and reel in until the line guide is where you want it re-tighten your drag. Also note to make sure that the line guide will be traveling in the same direction as your line comes off the spool.

that's a great tip! Prior to I just let a pile of line out then reeled it all back it in.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »

Thanks sugartooth. I'll give that a try. 
Sbc hris. It's on my shore fishing sturgeon rod. Don't thing a centerpin would work too well for me. Lol

But it would be more exciting  ;)

bmynbr

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »

But it would be more exciting  ;)

It sure would

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »

I feel so dumb reading this thread. I still don't understand what the problem is.
How can a level wind be "out of sync" with its reel?
Doesn't it get in sync as soon as you turn the handle and it engages the spool?

And what is this thing about "getting into the line that is spooled wrong"?
How can only part of the line be spooled wrong?

bmynbr

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:55:19 PM »

When you get backlash when casting and the spool spins without the worm gear moving. You end up with pine on one side and the line guide on the other moving in opposite directions

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »

I feel so dumb reading this thread. I still don't understand what the problem is.
How can a level wind be "out of sync" with its reel?
Doesn't it get in sync as soon as you turn the handle and it engages the spool?

And what is this thing about "getting into the line that is spooled wrong"?
How can only part of the line be spooled wrong?

Not that hard to understand. The worm gear guide is not in sync with the line coming off the spool as it normally is due to a precious issue. The OP is asking the best way to realign it so that it will reduce chances of further issues.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

243Pete

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 03:25:04 AM »

What model reel are you using? Like for some of the Shimano Calcutta B's the worm gear stays in sync while casting meaning it moves across the spool as the line is let out, while something like a shimano Calcutta D the worm gear stays in one spot when casting so it doesn't move across the spool.

To OP, I'd just respool the reel, get a spare empty spool and unwind all the line onto it and then respool it so everything is once again sync'ed.
Sort of what I like pins... no need to worry about any of that.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:58:18 PM by 243Pete »

bmynbr

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »

It's a penn 321. The worm gear does move with it I believe.  I normally have a bucket with me so wrapping the line around that would actually be pretty easy. Thanks for the help guys

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »

Easiest and fastest way is to get a flat head screwdriver or a dime and take the little pawl out. Strip a bit of line until it is tracking the way it should then drop the pawl back in, slowly strip line to make sure the pawl is in the correct grooves, if so put the pawl cap back on.

This is only ever an issue if your break off right at the reel which then it should only barely be out of sync or if you break off and reel all the line in and then make too many unnecessary turns knocking it out of sync by turning the spool too much.

I've had this happen in the past every now and then. If that trick doesn't not fix the issue then it's probably time for a new pawl and wormgear
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

243Pete

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »

No problem, another fast solution would be to just bring it to a shop and have them take a look at it. There is the possibilty that the worm gear pin could be damaged or something else since those reels are suppose to stay in sync with how the line is spooled on while it is casted, hense why most large game reels don't have a worm gear cause those will bust on very large fish.

A bucket would work on the spot.