Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardy marquis  (Read 13677 times)

Hambone

Hardy marquis
« on: November 21, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »

Wondering if someone can give me a recommendation for sizing of a Marquis reel. I'd like to fish an 8 and/or 9wt single handed rod and have the option to be able to add a short skagit head. Steelhead and salmon fishing. Is the Marquis 8/9 big enough or should I be looking at the Salmon 1, 2.

Thanks for any advice.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Hardy marquis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:18:08 AM »

I was going to say that a Marquis 8/9 would be perfect until you mentioned adding a short skagit head. I think it will depend on the skagit head. It should be ok, what wt head are you intending on using?

I've got 2 Marquis reels - a No. 7 and a Salmon 1, the latter I use on my 7 at switch and it works well for that. It's a beautiful reel, even if manufactured "off shore".

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »

As FM mentioned, a Marquis 8/9 is a great match on an 8 or 8wt single hand rod but with a skagit head and running line depends on the size of skagit. A Marquis Samon 1 would be a better fit on a 7wt switch with a skagit but might be a little heavier than you would like on a single hand rod.

I have a 8/9 Hardy Marquis on a 4wt switch with a 275g scandi, ridge running line and backing.

ByteMe

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »

as mentioned the Marquis 8/9 is big enough for what you want, the Salmon 1 is 37/8" I believe, a little large for a 8wt SH
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »

Yes. I believe the Marquis Salmon -1 is better suited to at least a 9 wt single handed. For my 8 wt single handers I have a hardy ultralight disc 8/9 and it is the same size as the Marquis 8/9, and this reel works great with an 8 wt rod.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »

Hardy always rated their reels relatively high compared to most other makers. Often the rating was for a full Double Taper line and little or no backing. As an example I have a Golden Prince #7 which I fish with a #5 rod. With a WF#5 it accommodates about 75 yards of backing - not a lot. With a Head it comes down to how much shooting line do you want - is it mono or a running line and how much backing. Even on the vedder you will be ok with 50 meters 90% of the time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »

My buddy has a golden prince #7 and uses it on his 6 wt rods. Classic reel. My Viscount mk iii 5/6 looks similar but with less fancy highlighting.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

I am not a Hardy fan. I've had trouble with the Golden Prince and the finish was so bad I wondered if it was water soluble. I kept it because it wasn't worth selling. I also have a Marquis #6 which I use for 4 wt lines. Sinking #5's go on there ok. It's another troublesome reel but not worth getting rid of.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »

I am not a Hardy fan. I've had trouble with the Golden Prince and the finish was so bad I wondered if it was water soluble. I kept it because it wasn't worth selling. I also have a Marquis #6 which I use for 4 wt lines. Sinking #5's go on there ok. It's another troublesome reel but not worth getting rid of.

I'm not sure why your having such issues with your Hardy reels. I've owned several over the years and still own 2 that I use regularly (Bougle and Cascapedia) and neither has ever given me an issue. The other models were only sold to fund other purchases or because they were surplus to my needs at the time. I can say the clicker on the Taupo Perfect was very weak and the main reason I sold it
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »

It's kind of off topic but I also have a Silex (1974) and had owned a Perfect (mid 30s) and a St John Mk2. The Silex and the Perfect never caused me any grief. The Marquis and St John consistently had or have loose rivets. The Golden Prince had the spool seize to the spool twice in the first few years I owned it though I kept them clean and lubricated. I never had a problem with the Prince after and think they changed the metal alloy in the shaft. All those reels were from the late 70s to mid 80s.I talked to people who both sold and repaired fly tackle who said Hardy wasn't what it had been even 10 or 15 years before. Hardy may have been good before then maybe afterwards but not then. The price of new Hardy reels more than doubled in subsequent years.

Hambone

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »

Appreciate the responses.. Not sure what size skagit just yet. Still planning out what rod, reel and line to get. I've always loved hardy reels and have an opportunity to get an 8/9 marquis.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »

I'm not sure why your having such issues with your Hardy reels. I've owned several over the years and still own 2 that I use regularly (Bougle and Cascapedia) and neither has ever given me an issue. The other models were only sold to fund other purchases or because they were surplus to my needs at the time. I can say the clicker on the Taupo Perfect was very weak and the main reason I sold it

I own 7 Hardy reels and all are working as if they are brand new!  My little Vicsount and Lightweight have been my trout reels since about 2001 - 2003 and they are working perfectly.  No scratches on them either (I find it much easier to care for trout gear than salmon).  The only problem I had with a Hardy reel was fishing for pinks in the Fraser with my Hardy Ultralight Disc Large Arbor 7/8.  The reel handle popped off while fighting a fish and I lost it in the murky water.  The handle has since been replaced and the reel works just as it did out of the box.  In my experience, they are all workhorses and should last a lifetime provided I take proper care of them.  Just my 5 cents worth... :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »

If you have reels from that time my guess the problems were QC related and the bad reels have since found ther way into the dumper or the replacement parts were upgraded over the years. As I said I talked to a number of people who both sold and repaired Hardy at the time. You would know the names. They agreed there was a problem. I mostly switched to SA system reels and Ross.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »

Point taken Ralph. My reels are early 2000's vintage.  I recently picked up a Marquis Salmon 1 (2011?) that is Korean made, and a Perfect Wide Spool (current) and they appear to be very well made.  One exception is my Marquis 7, which was given to me by my dad.  This reel is early 80's, but it works fine as well.

sandy999

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »

Over the years I have owned many Hardy reels including a super, a jewel, a silex supb. and even the worst made silex of all "The Silex". At this time I own two Marquis #7, one Princess featherweight and three princees fly reels. I must say that I have never ever had a problem with any of them except the cheaply made "The Silex" which the paint started to come off for no apparent reason. It certainly was not lack of care. Now a days the price of a Harley is insane, especially if you have to pay for it with US funds. They are just not worth the money that people are asking. There are quite a few reels on the market these days that are every bit as good and in many cases even better. To me-these days, Hardy Reels are a poor investment.