Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question(s) for the roe gurus from a newb  (Read 2848 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Question(s) for the roe gurus from a newb
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

Is roe (for bait) from a fresher fish preferred or is a more coloured up one better? Of course, one targets a more silver fish for the flesh but for the roe, does it matter?

Does the state of roe still in skein change that much right ahead of the spawning phase? Does it appeal more to other predator fish over roe from a chrome, say? Has anybody noticed more success using roe from a colored fish?

I’ve read through the other roe thread but it’s mostly on the curing process. Nothing about what kind of roe you should begin with, if it matters at all.

Just wondering, thanks in advance

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Question(s) for the roe gurus from a newb
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:23:21 AM »

The membrane on the skein weakens as the fish matures for spawning, so the fish can deposit the eggs as singles during spawning. For loose chunks of roe you want the membrane intact, if you want singles for sacks, either type will work but mature skeins are easier to make singles with.

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »

Eggs also get bigger and I would also assume more nutrient rich the older the fish gets.

Just use metal - it won't leave your hands cold and slimey.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

I think you are overthinking the idea of roe fishing a little bit, as long as you have nice intact eggs that dont just burst as soon as they hit the water you will catch fish. Colour of roe can make a difference but i find only when clarity is not ideal. I always go with a simple water cure, salt, borax and sugar and maybe food clouring then just let it air dry for hours and away you go. One thing you should know and im not sure on the science of it is to use none iodized salt.
[

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »

There's a lot to know in regards to curing roe...

Do you plan on using it for steelhead or for salmon?
Do you want to color the eggs or use them in their natural color?
Are you going to fish high/dirty water with the eggs or low/clear?

The fresher the female fish the smaller the eggs and the tighter the skeins will be. Also the eggs will have less natural color. As the fish matures the eggs begin to take the nutrients from the fish and the eggs begin to loosen up in the skein, they get bigger and they start to get more of a vibrant natural color.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:43:58 AM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

and im not sure on the science of it is to use none iodized salt.
I use salt for curing only for barfishing , depends on time I have left I can give you couple of ways if you want .