Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River fishing  (Read 24140 times)

Seahawk

Coquitlam River fishing
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »

Hi Everyone

I was thinking of trying out the Coquitlam River and I wanted to know of what was used in terms of lures/spoons, what if anything was caught and wherever abouts you fished?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks,

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Coquitlam River fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »

Seahawk

Welcome to this forum. I understand that this is your first post on this forum but you should really consider fishing other systems on the north side of the Fraser. Coquitlam river is an extremely fragile system that's been suffering from the toxic gravel extraction and a hydro dam. Hatchery efforts over years have tried to mitigate the risk but this system barely gets enough returning coho to sustain the hatchery program let alone the angling pressure from the city anglers. PM me and I can give you some info for fishing some alternate systems in the area. BTW, volunteers have organized the annual coquitlam river cleanup event for next Sunday, Nov 22. You may want to join the volunteers and learn new stuff from the fellow anglers.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38904.0

Tight lines. :)

Burbot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »

If so fragile why is it not shut down to angling?  Sounds to me you do not want others fishing the river you fish.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »

If so fragile why is it not shut down to angling?  Sounds to me you do not want others fishing the river you fish.

It is not shut down as it does have a small hatchery enhanced run of coho.  It is so fragile because the run of hatchery coho is small, so it cannot sustain the pressure that a post on a public forum such as this can create. These two are not mutually exclusive. Seahawk is welcomed to fish it, but he will not likely get a response to the questions he asked, especially the "wherever abouts you fished?" question. More importantly at the moment however, is that the Coquitlam River, largely due to the aforementioned gravel extraction operations, is highly susceptible to river blow out with even a small rainfall.  The rain falling now will ensure a flow of chocolate milk for the next few days at least. 
Not all those who wander are lost

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »

The river for the last several days has consistently been very high and up in the trees,it looks to me that the dam is open .
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

Most of the fish are either spawnned out or dead

Seahawk

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:34:50 PM »

Most of the fish are either spawnned out or dead

I'm sure there is something other then salmon in the river to catch.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »

Trout is an option but with the water level this high I don't think there gonna be biting

Seahawk

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »

Trout is an option but with the water level this high I don't think there gonna be biting
very true..........

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »

Will go for a walk later on today will let you guys know the condition

Seahawk

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Will go for a walk later on today will let you guys know the condition
Really appreciate that.  Thanks

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

Water today was a little lower but still high and had some color.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Drewhill

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:03 PM »

Guys, come on this really is a small system that shouldn't be talked about. Where are we going to draw the line on which systems we can and can't talk about? We're slowly inching our way closer to some other hatchery supplemented systems that certainly could be ruined by online pressure. Just because it's hatchery supplemented doesn't mean it can sustain pressure. If we're not taking it down can we at least move it to the fishing reports section so not every lurker can access it?  :( :( :(

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »

Guys, come on this really is a small system that shouldn't be talked about. Where are we going to draw the line on which systems we can and can't talk about? We're slowly inching our way closer to some other hatchery supplemented systems that certainly could be ruined by online pressure. Just because it's hatchery supplemented doesn't mean it can sustain pressure. If we're not taking it down can we at least move it to the fishing reports section so not every lurker can access it?  :( :( :(

Too late. Expect the crowds. I have forwarded this thread to all my newcomer friends who are looking for fishing spots near their homes in Coquitlam.
Coquitlam river rocks! Bwwaaahahahahahahaaaaa! :P

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »

people generally won't answer the sort of questions you ask for such systems. The fact there is very little pressure on the river should tell you how good (or not) the fishing is. I used to work in Poco and walked the trails . Some times I biked them on a day off. Hardly ever saw an angler - at least not the sort that knew what they were doing.

Yeah there are some fish - a few trout and some salmon - very few steelhead in winter. It's very easy to access the stream thanks to parks, road crossings and trails that follow most of one or both shores. Get out and explore it yourself. Anything that works on the Vedder (for example) will work there just downsize it a bit as it is a smaller stream.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.