Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nicomen Slough, November 14th 2015  (Read 6963 times)

TimL

Nicomen Slough, November 14th 2015
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

Anyone out there today? I decided to take a break from the Tidal Fraser and try my luck for some late season coho upstream on the Nicomen. This was my first foray into non-tidal waters in many years (I've mostly fished the ocean and more recently the tidal Fraser). Chucked spoons and spinners on the incoming tide...did some exploring as well on the dykes. Water vis was around 1.5-2 ft. Overall it was very slow- I got skunked and did not see anyone hooking/landing any fish. There were a few spawned out chum swimming by and that was it. Looks like the season's done...or is it?

Tangles

Re: Nicomen Slough, November 14th 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »

Lots of Coho charged up on Tuesday, but they were not interested in anything I showed them.  :-\

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »

River already has 30 cars at each pullout. No need to keep advertising it.

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

I'm not about banging the drum but I'm afraid that "the damage is done", I went only once this year and I'm done with this location. I arrived first on my spot and stayed with the head lamp on for half an hour in the dark just so people can see me and give some room but no, as soon as first light hit a group of older folks which I thought should know better came in and started fishing right in front of me! Not 6ft away, immediately in front of me. Of course they didn't care when I told them I'll need my 10ft of casting space, smdfh! Soo yeah, I hear what you're saying BCFisherman but it's already gone worse than Vedder :( not to mention I witnessed and reported some gruesome instances of poaching there last year, a white family of grandfather, father and son came in and snagged and retained well over 20 wild coho, all red boots with black bellies, disgusting!

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »

Was there today , not too much of an action , water high , weather miserable , strong wind picked up second half day , saw 5 retained . I would say first light is best bet .

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »

River already has 30 cars at each pullout. No need to keep advertising it.

Good grief, it's the fishing reports section, not the cone of silence section. I'm sad to say this, but there's more than a few folks that know about that area. ::) Thanks for the report Tim!
http://

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:47 PM »

I agree doesnt matter what you say on here about the Nicomen anymore its already a gong show and those people on the river will just spread the word without so much as saying anything on here. Social media would be more to blame than a couple fishing forums.

What a crappy year for the North Side rivers. I have only caught a a few myself this year in 5 outings.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »

This is a strange one. Do we not talk about it because it is a smaller system with limited stocks or is it ok to talk about it because lots of guys fish it? I'm in the camp of let's not talk about the fishing on this river because it can't handle more pressure and keep it to how/what to use on this system to fish it ethically. And for the record the fishing has been terrible there this year.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »

This isn't a secret river with wild fish ,it is a hatchery supplemented system which happens to be underneath a popular highway.
I can see if it was something like Morgonburgh Creek or something but Nicomen Slough?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »

I agree doesnt matter what you say on here about the Nicomen anymore its already a gong show and those people on the river will just spread the word without so much as saying anything on here. Social media would be more to blame than a couple fishing forums.

What a crappy year for the North Side rivers. I have only caught a a few myself this year in 5 outings.

I'm Hoping maybe the north side rivers will have a good late push like the Vedder is this year.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »

You have to realize that if a river,stream,creek or ditch has salmon and it's enhanced, it will be in the regs because that river,stream,creek or ditch needs to be "Managed". Sure forums where us loose lipped fishers name names and places does it's share of spreading the word but don't forget about how information gets out via social media,guys on forums like this one sending pm's to each other and all the tackle shops out there are spreading the gospel of where to go.

The Internet is a great tool to take out the guesswork and lessen the legwork of how and where to get to places. Just striking up a conversation with a customer in a tackle shop is very effective. When you ask "Have you ever fished here?" and get similar responses from others,then you go check it out and when you get there and see other people fishing here, you just found a new place to fish. Just my 2 cents.
It ain't the roe bro'

TimL

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »

You have to realize that if a river,stream,creek or ditch has salmon and it's enhanced, it will be in the regs because that river,stream,creek or ditch needs to be "Managed". Sure forums where us loose lipped fishers name names and places does it's share of spreading the word but don't forget about how information gets out via social media,guys on forums like this one sending pm's to each other and all the tackle shops out there are spreading the gospel of where to go.

The Internet is a great tool to take out the guesswork and lessen the legwork of how and where to get to places. Just striking up a conversation with a customer in a tackle shop is very effective. When you ask "Have you ever fished here?" and get similar responses from others,then you go check it out and when you get there and see other people fishing here, you just found a new place to fish. Just my 2 cents.
Hey..I found out about this place through Rod's website so I don't think it's a secret any more   ;D I've also gotten location info from old timers while out fishing and I'm also guilty of giving out info myself about areas where I've fished..the word does spread in more than one way. Any way I don't think I'll be fishing there again any time soon..I may go check out the Stave this weekend instead. :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

This was my first foray into non-tidal waters in many years

I think the slough is influenced by the tides.  Oops did I just bump this thread again.

TimL

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »

I think the slough is influenced by the tides.  Oops did I just bump this thread again.
oops I meant freshwater  :)

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »

The slough so needs to be flushed out of all the milfoil above the confluence of Norrish. So much good Coho habitat up that way that needs to be brought back to life! Cuts like it too! Would have been a good year this past spring to do it!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"