Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp River Summer Steelhead Fishing Video  (Read 5766 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Stamp River Summer Steelhead Fishing Video
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »

A month ago I was on the Stamp River with Murphy Sportfishing filming a video on their summer steelhead fishery. We were targeting them by float fishing with trout beads since these fish were feeding on eggs being deposited by chinook salmon. Mrs Everyday was the host of the video and she did a great job on both the fishing and hosting as always. I'm putting the video up this afternoon, but first here are a couple of photos from the trip. :)

I'll post the video link up once it goes live at 5pm.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:49:59 PM by Rodney »

Outdoorsman

Re: Stamp River Summer Steelhead Fishery
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »

Thanks for sharing Rod! Looking forward to it.

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »

The steelhead blues are starting early the year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Stamp River Summer Steelhead Fishing Video
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

Great photography and an even better job of hosting by Kitty!  Look behind you Mariko ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »

There'll be more episodes next year... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »

Here is another look at that surprising by-catch from the trip. :)

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »

^ that is an absolute toad. Such a beautiful cutty :D

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »

Very enjoyable video thanks.

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:23:17 AM »

Awesome video Rod!  :D Started using beads this year on the gear as I've generally used it for fly, great results if you know how to drift them.

eager_rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »

Anyone use them for winter run fish? I understand that the conditions might be different-- summer fish are actively feeding (at least in the video) whereas winter/spring fish wouldn't be running into eggs if they get into the river in Feb March April. That being said, might a winter steelhead still hit a drifted bead? Rookie questions from a steelhead rookie; I'll try it out myself once they come in but if anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear about it.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »

Under certain conditions, steelhead will hit just about everything. Beads can be really deadly for winter run fish. Especially early run fish that run into eggs from late season salmon along with later in the season when the steelhead start to spawn themselves and the fresher fish that come in a little later in the season will gladly take a bead if presented right. Early in the year, steelhead aren't that picky from what I've noticed. They will hit just about anything that you would normally use for steelhead if you can find them. As the season goes on, they see so much of the typical baits that sometimes a switch to something different triggers a bite (twitched jigs can be killer later). So yes, try beads as you could easily get fish to bite them (if you find them of course). Big bonus with beads is that you can regularly get a lot of bull trout and other species as a bi-catch. Early in the year, don't focus on what you're using too too much, just fish something you are decently confident in. Just cover a lot of water because finding them is the trick. As the season progresses, try working different baits through runs that you're confident are holding fish.

eager_rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »

Under certain conditions, steelhead will hit just about everything. Beads can be really deadly for winter run fish. Especially early run fish that run into eggs from late season salmon along with later in the season when the steelhead start to spawn themselves and the fresher fish that come in a little later in the season will gladly take a bead if presented right. Early in the year, steelhead aren't that picky from what I've noticed. They will hit just about anything that you would normally use for steelhead if you can find them. As the season goes on, they see so much of the typical baits that sometimes a switch to something different triggers a bite (twitched jigs can be killer later). So yes, try beads as you could easily get fish to bite them (if you find them of course). Big bonus with beads is that you can regularly get a lot of bull trout and other species as a bi-catch. Early in the year, don't focus on what you're using too too much, just fish something you are decently confident in. Just cover a lot of water because finding them is the trick. As the season progresses, try working different baits through runs that you're confident are holding fish.

Interesting, thank you. I really enjoy fishing beads for bulls and rainbows, gotten into many football-shaped trout who have gorged themselves on eggs. I think I'll add a bead under an indicator to my quiver this year; maybe carry that alongside a more common short-floated offering and work each run twice. Once with the jig/worm, once with the bead.