Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly rods  (Read 7785 times)

fishallday

fly rods
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »

what brand of fly Rod to buy? I finally want to go threw with it and get my own fly rod I want something nice and durable but sage is a bit out of reach...
I've looked around and theres loads of different stuff out there from loomis to orvis to st. Croix all seem good. I just want to know what you guys are running as well as the best bang for buck but still quality made and good for hours of fun on the river.
I'm looking at getting a 5# or maybe 4# single hand rod for trout fishing on the vedder and surrounding lakes.
also question about the pieces is a 4 piece rod not as responsive and smooth as a 2 piece stander rod i like the idea of having a small rod bag but don't know if its worth the sacrifice.
life's short stunt it

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: fly rods
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »

Modern 4 piece rods are as smooth and responsive as 2 piece rods. The hinging effect at the ferrule was eliminated several years ago.
The only advantage to a 2 piece rod is that they are a little bit less expensive.
Dragonfly, Amundson, Fenwick, Echo, Redington, St. Croix all make fine rods that are nice to cast and will catch many fish.
For your usage and experience (I assume) I would recommend not buying a super stiff "high end" rod like a Sage One. You will likely not enjoy casting it.

Go to your local fly shop and try casting several. They can often put together a package at a great price, plus you can try before you buy.
If you take advantage of their services, please buy locally.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »

+1 on the Dragonfly if you're trying to reach a certain price point. As far as weight....I would say if you want the "all around" rod for being able to take to a lake or a river, I would stick with a #5. If you get into a larger trout, you're going to have the backbone needed to land it faster. As well, you can use it to troll a fly, chironomid, use indicators, some split shot, and not have to worry too much about it. The Dragonfly would work great for you, because you can buy them as a combo package. They come with the rod, the reel, and a spare spool. All lined with a full floating line, and a sinking line. Which is excellent to get you started. I started with the Dragonfly combo, which has now led me to thousands spent, but thousands of awesome memories on the water. My Dragonfly was a #6 which I still lend to a friend when we're out to try and get their addiction fired up as well.
But yes, totally agree on the buying local. The whole rig will be rather inexpensive, and anybody at a local tackle shop will be able to help you in the right direction! Happy hunting!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »

^^^ this!

As I already mentioned in the previous thread, these combinations represent great value for money.  I have fly fished for 40+ years and while I do have a couple of higher end rods for specific tasks, I still fish with the 5 wt expedition 2, as does my son, and we use them for stocked lake and river fishing for trout all the way up to catching pinks in the salt.

John Revolver

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »

If you are just starting out and want a full kit set up I would highly reccomend one of the packaged reddington outfits.

I purchased one on a whim after I spotted a reddingt 5wt. outfit in a pawnshop in brand new seald condition. It was very cheap so I figured "what the hell"  and made the purchase.

I have fished SAGE all of my life since I was a little kid and I have to say I was extremely impressed with reddington's outfit for the money. I was amazed to be honest :)

If you would like to spend a little bit more money and peice together an outfit I would reccomend St.Croix. Simply outstanding casting rods both fly and gear.

Stantonius

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »

I second the Reddington rods. I have a 5wt four piece that I carry behind the back seat in the truck and suitcase when I travel. It's great and really fun with the trouts for river, stream or lake. It takes up very little space, so you can take it everywhere.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »

Really all you need to know is if it says Echo, Redington, Orvis, Sage, Temple Fork, Winston (if its an older Burgundy blank-indicates offshore build{Winston passport}, the green blanks [or black in the nexus case] indicate made in the US and are from the higher end range), Douglas, G. Loomis, St. Croix, Greys (getting harder to find now as Pure fishing bought them out and rebranded certain models under Fenwick), the rod is going to be good value.  Somewhere in there, I am positive I missed a brand with a good value rod.  Just find one that works for you.

fishallday

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »

i was looking at a St. Croix avid what do you guys think .. its pretty cheap looks nice but really what do I know .
life's short stunt it

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:17 PM »

i was looking at a St. Croix avid what do you guys think .. its pretty cheap looks nice but really what do I know .
Personally, (never casted one) an avid is on my list of rods to own even though its not that pricey.  I just love the feel with the wiggle test.  I'd love to cast one.  Either way though I'd say go for it.

fishallday

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:43 AM »

Personally, (never casted one) an avid is on my list of rods to own even though its not that pricey.  I just love the feel with the wiggle test.  I'd love to cast one.  Either way though I'd say go for it.

hmm okay sound good thanks
life's short stunt it

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »

I had a less than wonderful experience with the folks at St Croix many years back. Service staff were superb their warranty techs not so much. None the less my problem got looked after but I sold the rod shortly there after. I'd suggest you go to a great shop like Michael and Young. They have lots of selection plus an A+ customer focus. Any future trouble they handle it. It pays off down the road.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Animal Chin

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »

+2 with Michael and Young.

or if you're really into the St. Croix, go to SeaRun in Austin. They carry the brand and you can ask them about warranty. My buddy had a broken Clarus, they just gave him one off the rack and sent the broken on in. You'll have to check if that was a Shimano thing or with all makes.

This is likely not helpful, but I have an Avid casting rod that I love.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »

Dragon fly would be a good entry level fly rod. Problem nowadays is with the value of the Canadian dollar anything that comes from south of the border is very expensive.  Could also get a used fly rod too that is in good condition. Might be worth your while to drop by the upcoming used fishing tackle sale that will be coming up this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:17:48 PM by dennyman »

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »

Save some money for good line too...and ask lots of questions about lines relative to your rod.  I'm a beginner and it made a huge difference once I changed out the line to one that worked for me.

jackie

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 09:33:17 PM »

I just bought a echo ion 8wt and I love the rod... super strong backbone cast great and still pretty light. Paired it up with a redditon behemoth and it fishes great. I bought everything for around 350$ which doesn't break the bank.