Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Against all odds  (Read 4169 times)

Silver

Against all odds
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »

Have had a somewhat lousy season...
The expected epic pink salmon run was mediocre, Fraser fishery delayed, and Coho numbers are down. I got into a handful of salmon, but nothing that exciting...by-catch of humpies, and cutting off coho jacks is underwhelming.
However, my favorite fishing hole didn't let me down.
I made serious preparations in the spring for an epic season but the lack of rain put a stop to that.
I thought that this recent rain could finally bring in some late season fish, but the river was too high and fast this weekend. When I noticed that the levels were dropping coinciding with a peak tide I made the decision to rearrange my work schedule and give it a try.
Conditions looked perfect...deep pool, nice drift, gin clear water. Spent a few hours changing gear with nothing...started to get discouraged. Even last year, the river was at least full of older biting fish to break up the monotony. The resident heron was also nowhere to be found...the magic was missing.
I briefly got into a dark spring that in consistent pulls took my spoon with him into the rapids. Started to think that perhaps these hookups are just my lure lining the fish and I'm wasting my time attempting to connect with something worthy. Even the previous season had many bright fish surfacing frequently to keep the spirit alive...not much was alive this day. I was considering hanging it up for the season, even got rid of my last bit of roe that afternoon not intending to do any more bar fishing either.
Then I remembered what a tackle store pro told me...fish with confidence. His example was retrieve your cast as if a fish is chasing your lure at every moment.
So I changed to a new color spoon, and with focus worked the run paying close attention to speed and varying of retrieve.
In a few casts felt a strong resistance and thought I had a snag...but then felt a familiar head shake.
This is what came up...

Also, credit to Trophy Tackle. Best money spent to-date on spoons and spinners.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:09:12 PM by Silver »

Nineteethree

Re: Against all odds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »

Have had a somewhat lousy season...
The expected epic pink salmon run was mediocre, Fraser fishery delayed, and Coho numbers are down. I got into a handful of salmon, but nothing that exciting...by-catch of humpies, and cutting off coho jacks is underwhelming.
However, my favorite fishing hole didn't let me down.
I made serious preparations in the spring for an epic season but the lack of rain put a stop to that.
I thought that this recent rain could finally bring in some late season fish, but the river was too high and fast this weekend. When I noticed that the levels were dropping coinciding with a peak tide I made the decision to rearrange my work schedule and give it a try.
Conditions looked perfect...deep pool, nice drift, gin clear water. Spent a few hours changing gear with nothing...started to get discouraged. Even last year, the river was at least full of older biting fish to break up the monotony. The resident heron was also nowhere to be found...the magic was missing.
I briefly got into a dark spring that in consistent pulls took my spoon with him into the rapids. Started to think that perhaps these hookups are just my lure lining the fish and I'm wasting my time attempting to connect with something worthy. Even the previous season had many bright fish surfacing frequently to keep the spirit alive...not much was alive this day. I was considering hanging it up for the season, even got rid of my last bit of roe that afternoon not intending to do any more bar fishing either.
Then I remembered what a tackle store pro told me...fish with confidence. His example was retrieve your cast as if a fish is chasing your lure at every moment.
So I changed to a new color spoon, and with focus worked the run paying close attention to speed and varying of retrieve.
In a few casts felt a strong resistance and thought I had a snag...but then felt a familiar head shake.
This is what came up...

What was it? I don't see anything!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »

Very nice!

Nineteethree

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »

Now I see it! Great Job!!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »

Nice fish.  I haven't had much luck at that spot this year.  I fished the lower on Saturday and hooked a fish at the same time tangled up with another person's line. I wound up untangling the other person's line and unhooking the fish at the same time.

fishallday

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »

sick story !! keep the stoke alive, thats a beauty for this late in
life's short stunt it

96XJ

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

Great story , so there is hope for us after all

Silver

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:29:17 PM »

I was sure that the season was done for the Capilano and wasn't planning to return, but the perfect storm lured me back. I arrived to find ideal conditions again, and was looking forward to learning a bit more of what this river has to offer...but the absence of surface activity was disappointing. I remember reading that some anglers have had their best days when nothing is showing, but I know from past ventures to this spot that there is usually activity. Like an aquarium, I could see familiar pairs, and bully's swimming about. Interesting, it seems that the fish follow similar patterns of behaviour even in the wild...why not I suppose?
So after the usual array of hardware being thrown around for a few hours, I felt that negative feeling coming back...and the lack of fresh fish showing themselves was discouraging. I was saving my lucky spoon, but decided to tie it on again as I did feel more confident about knowing the bottom contour of this part of the river. A few casts later just as the tail out turns the spoon into a curving path...fish on!

Dime bright with sea lice still present...I've have the fortune of only catching the freshest fish in this system. First light/last light is a myth here.

The river turned from clear to muddy shortly thereafter, so I decided to take my bounty as I have never had the success of two fish in one outing on this challenging river...and don't expect too in future. I do feel that I can at least pull one out on each occasional day with the right conditions presenting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:32:55 PM by Silver »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »

Sweet! I was there the day of the big rain and saw lots of fish coming in. Went back a few days later, and it looked like the entire river was barren of fish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »

I was sure that the season was done for the Capilano and wasn't planning to return, but the perfect storm lured me back. I arrived to find ideal conditions again, and was looking forward to learning a bit more of what this river has to offer...but the absence of surface activity was disappointing. I remember reading that some anglers have had their best days when nothing is showing, but I know from past ventures to this spot that there is usually activity. Like an aquarium, I could see familiar pairs, and bully's swimming about. Interesting, it seems that the fish follow similar patterns of behaviour even in the wild...why not I suppose?
So after the usual array of hardware being thrown around for a few hours, I felt that negative feeling coming back...and the lack of fresh fish showing themselves was discouraging. I was saving my lucky spoon, but decided to tie it on again as I did feel more confident about knowing the bottom contour of this part of the river. A few casts later just as the tail out turns the spoon into a curving path...fish on!

Dime bright with sea lice still present...I've have the fortune of only catching the freshest fish in this system. First light/last light is a myth here.

The river turned from clear to muddy shortly thereafter, so I decided to take my bounty as I have never had the success of two fish in one outing on this challenging river...and don't expect too in future. I do feel that I can at least pull one out on each occasional day with the right conditions presenting.
Congrats man!  Perseverance paid off!

jordanc

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »

Nice catch!