Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rain jacket  (Read 7716 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Simms Rain jacket
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »

Simms raincoat. Pros and cons? Which type is preferred? Thanx

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Simms Rain jacket
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »

I have the guide model. After fishing an entire day (I mean an ENTIRE day) my shoulders are still dry. Got to love gore tex.
I carry the least possible amount of gear with me and I don't use a vest. These 2 large pockets and the one on my waders hold everything I need to carry.
On the downside the slots for hand warming behind the pockets hold water in extremely wet weather.
They're meant to wear with waders so the jacket doesn't hang down at all which is great for wading, not so great if you ever wanted to wear the jacket without waders on.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »

I have the guide model. After fishing an entire day (I mean an ENTIRE day) my shoulders are still dry. Got to love gore tex.

On the downside the slots for hand warming behind the pockets hold water in extremely wet weather.

The slots behind the pockets hold water? Are they pockets as well?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »

Hmm - never had that problem before (hand warmers filling with water).  I've got two Simms Guide jackets.  One is about 10 seasons old and is still holding!  It does have a few issues (the tape covering the seam between the neck and hood has come off, and the metal clips on my retractors can now fall off as the seal/weld at the bottom of the retractors has worn out).  But the jacket still works well.  I picked up a new Simms Guide jacket about 2 years ago and use this when its raining heavily.  Overall, I'd say it's an excellent jacket, but the sleeves will eventually leak when fishing all day in the rain.  My shoulders do stay dry.  I also regularly wash them (they're machine washable) with Nikwax and they come out nice and fresh!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

[quote author=FlyFishin Magician link=topic=38851.msg366418#msg366418 date=1446520668  I picked up a new Simms Guide jacket about 2 years ago and use this when its raining heavily.  Overall, I'd say it's an excellent jacket, but the sleeves will eventually leak when fishing all day in the rain.  My shoulders do stay dry.  I also regularly wash them (they're machine washable) with Nikwax and they come out nice and fresh!
[/quote] What is Nikwax? Do u use the gentle cycle when washing?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »

I own the slick jacket, Freds has them in stock in Abbotsford.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/slick-jacket.html

I love this jacket, looks great, no big bulging pockets, nothing for fly line to get caught on. Even though you can't see pockets it had tons of storage. You can even reach inside your waders through one of the pockets. It fits me so nicely, and has a little stretch. I'm quite happy with it.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »

Nice looking jacket. What the price on that one?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:11:57 PM »

Hmm - never had that problem before (hand warmers filling with water).  I've got two Simms Guide jackets.  One is about 10 seasons old and is still holding!  It does have a few issues (the tape covering the seam between the neck and hood has come off, and the metal clips on my retractors can now fall off as the seal/weld at the bottom of the retractors has worn out).  But the jacket still works well.  I picked up a new Simms Guide jacket about 2 years ago and use this when its raining heavily.  Overall, I'd say it's an excellent jacket, but the sleeves will eventually leak when fishing all day in the rain.  My shoulders do stay dry.  I also regularly wash them (they're machine washable) with Nikwax and they come out nice and fresh!
The slots behind the pockets hold water? Are they pockets as well?

Maybe I said it wrong. They don't leak,, but the wide opening for the hand warmers I find make it easy to fill with rain water from the wind or water beading down the jacket. Not like cup fulls but enough I can splash it out of the pocket with my hand.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »

I own the slick jacket, Freds has them in stock in Abbotsford.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/slick-jacket.html

I love this jacket, looks great, no big bulging pockets, nothing for fly line to get caught on. Even though you can't see pockets it had tons of storage. You can even reach inside your waders through one of the pockets. It fits me so nicely, and has a little stretch. I'm quite happy with it.

I like this one aswell. Tried it on in store and I'd buy it if I didn't have my guide.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »

[quote author=FlyFishin Magician link=topic=38851.msg366418#msg366418 date=1446520668  I picked up a new Simms Guide jacket about 2 years ago and use this when its raining heavily.  Overall, I'd say it's an excellent jacket, but the sleeves will eventually leak when fishing all day in the rain.  My shoulders do stay dry.  I also regularly wash them (they're machine washable) with Nikwax and they come out nice and fresh!
 What is Nikwax? Do u use the gentle cycle when washing?

Nikwax Techwash is a cleaning agent specifically designed for goretex outerwear.  It is important to regularly clean outerwear to maintain waterproofing.  However, over time, waterproofing may wear out so you can also apply Nikwax TX Direct to re-waterproof the jacket.  Works great!

Nikwax Techwash (to clean the jacket):

http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/productdetail.php?productid=592&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Nikwax TX Direct (re-waterproofing agent):

http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/productdetail.php?productid=591&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

doja

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »

Also need to wash with  hot water I think but definitely dry on hot.... Activates something...   Pretty sure,  I don't clean mine that much...  For the price I take great care of it, lol. Never had pockets fill with water either but in the right monsoon storm... 

Absolutely awesome coat (guide model, 4yr old,  simple but effective) if I had a outside job (slab work, etc)  no brainer I'd buy one for that....  And aqua seal,  lol

Have others for work but the guide sits really well on the body...  Hood fits really well without pulling down on anything...  Wonder if time will change that?

ShaunO

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »

I have the G4 Pro jacket.  Love it. I've had many Simms jackets over the years and they're all top quality.

Pros:
- Gore-Tex
- Hand warming pockets
- Huge front pockets
- Fish all day in a monsoon and leave bone dry
- Light weight

Cons:
- Price

John Revolver

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:33:36 AM »

I own the G4pro Jacket.

It was very expensive and I worked hard to budget for it but my logic was that considering the amount of time I spend on the water, and in harsh conditions, it is worth it to me to invest in high quality protection from the elements. I simply can not put a price on comfort. This is my second season wearing it and it is an amazing peice of gear that fits everything I need. It also has a very stream lined and fitted feel to it.

The ONLY con I can think of was mentioned earlier. In very heavy rain if the hand warmer side pockets are open even just a little bit they can collect water in the pockets. Total PITA.

Other than that, I am beyond thrilled with the Jacket. The cuffs are amazing. I've dropped items in the river a few times and fully reached in the water for retrevial and my sleeves are totally dry.

It's pricey but if you are out there enough times in harsh weather it easily pays for itself in one season.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 03:25:56 AM »

Nikwax Techwash is a cleaning agent specifically designed for goretex outerwear.  It is important to regularly clean outerwear to maintain waterproofing.  However, over time, waterproofing may wear out so you can also apply Nikwax TX Direct to re-waterproof the jacket.  Works great!

Nikwax Techwash (to clean the jacket):

http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/productdetail.php?productid=592&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Nikwax TX Direct (re-waterproofing agent):

http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/productdetail.php?productid=591&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
Great advice! Thanks. Where can I purchase these products?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 03:34:55 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I think the G4 pro jacket pictured, the pockets look huge? The other jacket pictured, the slick doesn't have those large pockets. I always wear a fishing vest when out on the rivers. So probably don't need those large pockets. I tried a few Simms coats on a few yrs ago. Was totally stoked at how nice they looked and fit. Been awhile since then to be able to finally afford one! Make a nice compliment to the G4 Simms waders I had custom made at an very expensive cost due to the the ones off the rack at the local fishing tackle store not having a size 13 foot.