Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rod choices  (Read 6276 times)

fishallday

rod choices
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »

hey guys I'm looking at getting into fly fishing I'm currently just pinning but just love the look of using a fly.
few questions, should I get a spey or a switching rod ? Or just a one hand ? what length rod do you guys recommend?
Floating or sinking line?
life's short stunt it

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: rod choices
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:11:37 AM »

Depends on what type of fish you're targeting and the rivers you'll be fishing.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 01:33:16 AM »

Most versatile rod is a 9'6#.  you can  toss dries, streamers,  fish lakes, catch pinks, coho (no current), etc with one no problem.

fishallday

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »

thanks guys ill be fishing mostly the vedder or surrounding lakes.
life's short stunt it

fishallday

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »

as i am a beginner would you guys recommend a smaller trout orientated rod, or a larger rod for salmon, for learning? 
life's short stunt it

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »

as i am a beginner would you guys recommend a smaller trout orientated rod, or a larger rod for salmon, for learning?

There is a really nice Redington CPX 7wt switch rod that ByteMe is selling for $175 obo in the Classifieds, great coho and pink rod 8)..............sorry I couldn't resist ::)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »

Most versatile rod is a 9'6#.  you can  toss dries, streamers,  fish lakes, catch pinks, coho (no current), etc with one no problem.

agree - this might be your best choice.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

hey guys I'm looking at getting into fly fishing I'm currently just pinning but just love the look of using a fly.
few questions, should I get a spey or a switching rod ? Or just a one hand ? what length rod do you guys recommend?
Floating or sinking line?

If you are just starting to learn the fundamentals, go with a single hand. 

If you discover you have a passion for fly fishing then explore the switch and spay options at a later date, which tend to be used to target more specific fisheries or types of water.

As recommended previously a 9'6" 6 wt will probably be the most versatile rod you can use for the widest range of fishing.  Although 'trout' orientated, you will be able to catch pinks and coho on it, use it for chironomid fishing, etc, etc.

The dragonfly expedition 2's usually come as a kit with a reel and two spools and represent a great value starter rod, often spooled with a line of your choice.  Spool one reel with a full floating line to learn with and once you have your cast down, you will be able to handle a sinking line on the other spool.

If you can only select a single line to start with go with a floating line, it is a lot, lot easier to learn with.

fishallday

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:39:31 PM »

hmm thanxs a lot guys so I think ill go with a single hand Rod. but know what reel to get ...
life's short stunt it

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »

hmm thanxs a lot guys so I think ill go with a single hand Rod. but know what reel to get ...

Lamson Liquid 3 pack (reel + 2 spare spools) might be your best bet.  Price is good and its a decent reel.

However I have no idea on your budget or intended use.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »

At an entry level system, do not worry about reel quality too much, it's only a place to store your line.  Whatever reel you get with a combo (if you go that route) will be fine, a second spool would be a useful addition.

With fly rods of 6 wt and down you will typically only fight the fish on the line rather than on the reel and therefore you do not need to spend a lot of money on a good reel with a decent drag system.  Once you get into larger fish and bigger rods, you need to get them onto the reel fairly quickly so that the drag on the reel will smoothly play out the line when they go for a run.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »

At an entry level system, do not worry about reel quality too much, it's only a place to store your line.  Whatever reel you get with a combo (if you go that route) will be fine, a second spool would be a useful addition.

With fly rods of 6 wt and down you will typically only fight the fish on the line rather than on the reel and therefore you do not need to spend a lot of money on a good reel with a decent drag system.  Once you get into larger fish and bigger rods, you need to get them onto the reel fairly quickly so that the drag on the reel will smoothly play out the line when they go for a run.

I disagree on the rod weight factor.  Its more to do with the water (ie. River or lake) and size of fish* (I use my 10' 3wt in the Adams so naturally im using the reel,  but any whitefish under 8" I usually strip it if there is no current (think stave)