Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PFD advise  (Read 5151 times)

Silver

PFD advise
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:17:10 PM »

I want to purchase an inflatable fishing PFD. It would primarily be used when fishing from a boat, but would also be worn when near fast rivers also.
It would need to have the maximum buoyancy, but also be slim so as not to limit flexibility when casting...and also be comfortable.
Cost is not an issue, but I would like to know the best place to buy online?
Too many to choose from and would appreciate some guidance.
I'm drawn to Mustang for the name brand only...would like to choose based on some more substantial reasoning.
Please let me know your thoughts...

jimstone

Re: PFD advise
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:22 AM »

Bought 3 mustang MIT 100 pfd from lfs marine supply in Bellingham harbour for under 100 us each. super lightweight and you barely notice your wearing anything. when i got to the border the guard laughed that I was buying pfd from a Canadian company and bringing it back ( no duty paid). At the time the dollar was close and the best price I could find here was 130 at Steveston marine. they are great to store on the boat as they take up alot less room than the old foamy jackets. Even have ones with pink writing for the girls.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:22:32 AM »

pfd bought in the usa  might not be valid in Canada so have another one on your boat in case you get checked.
on the river no problem.

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »

^ Yes, PFD's need to approved for use in Canada, however a number of inflatables sold within Canada are not approved by Transport Canada.  They only provide 16 pounds of buoyancy where 34 is required.  The Mustang fisherman vest is one of them.

I am not judging, but if I was to be investing in life saving equipment that requires a correct fit, I would not be buying it online without trying them on first.

Mustang has earned its reputation through exceptional quality and innovative products.  It doesn't hurt that military, law enforcement, rescue personnel and professional mariners use Mustang either.  Not to mention that Mustang is a Canadian company with offices in Richmond.

My 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:37:35 PM by ShaunO »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »

Here's a thought...and I can research this but I thought someone might know off hand...

The inflatable PFDs...do they have as much bouyancy as a a regualr adult life jacket?

I have an older Mustang inflatable, the kind you have to yank the cord to make it inflate. I've always worn it lake fishing, nice and comfortable.

However now that we have a river boat I don't wear it, but instead wear the orange foam one...UNCOMFORTABLE!! But I figure if something happends and I get knocked out and can't pull the tab it's game over. Plus, I'm guessing the inflateables do not have as much buoyancy as a "regular" life jacket???

I kind of want to buy a new spiffy Mustang auto-inflate PFD. I just find the old school PFD so uncomfortable to wear. When I'm out in the Fraser I want max buoyancy so if I do fall in there is a lesser chance of the current sucking me under.

coyote spooner

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

I have one for sale.

Used very little and like new.

It's like this:

http://troutfishinghelp.blogspot.ca/2007/07/new-inflatable-fishing-vest-offers.html

A little different than the current model.  Better than the new one , IMO.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »

Thanks coyote spooner, That is a nice looking vest/PFD, but I'm just looking for the PFD only. Over the years I've gone away from wearing a fishing vest. I don't like all the bulging in the front it cramps my style when casting, esp fly/spey. Plus I was finding the weight pulling forward was giving me a sore back. Now I use a Patagonia waterproof hip pack and put a few extra things in the pockets of my fishing jacket. The system works well for me.

I wouldn't wear a PFD on the Vedder but always do on the Fraser.

I did some research on Mustang's website and a few other sites. Seems that the inflatable PFDs DO have buoyancy = to or greater than most foam PFDs. For example the one I was looking at has 26LB of floatation. This is probably more than the old school foam ones that came with our boat.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one maybe put on my list to Santa ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »

I have an auto inflate Mustang and the fit is fantastic,you don't even know it is there, however it needs recharging every 5 years and is also required to be worn in the boat unlike the hard body ones that only have to be on board to be legal.
My next one will be a foam hard body one because I hate the the thought of the inflatable one not working if I ever need it and the recharge every 5 years is a pain in the neck.
Im pretty large so finding a hard body one that fits correctly might be difficult.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »

Yes true the thought has crossed my mind...what if this damn thing doesn't inflate when I need it to?! Last year for kicks I pulled the cord on my manual Mustang PFD. Yup it worked!! I was a bit shocked when I went to buy a replacement CO2 at it cost like 40 bucks :o

With the newer ones they have a visible gauge so you can see the pressure level. My old school one does not.

I'd like an inflatable PFD as the foam ones are seriosuly uncomfortable to fish in!! Not so bad driving the boat but try and stand and cast in the thing for a few hours and you will be cursing it, esp if it is warm/hot out!!

For me I think the way to go would be to put an inflatable on at the begenning of the day on the Fraser. If I had to do something "risky" like jusmp out of the boat in shallow water to try and clear a plugged impellor or whatver, I would probably put a regular foam PFD on.

I find right now I am constantling taking the foam one on and off. I'll have it on when driving, then anchor up I'll start to get hot/uncomfortable and I'll take it off. Sometimes when driving I'll realize, oh crap I forgot to put my lifejacket back on! they say the best life jacket is one you'll actually wear, and I find the foam ones are way too akaward to fish in for any length of time. IMO the way to go is to buy a quality (Mustang) auto-inflate PFD and don't take it off.

coyote spooner

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »

Ok SS, no problem.

I threw it out there for anybody who's interested.

On a side note.  You can manually inflate your inflatable LJ by opening the Velcro and using the blow up tube, to test.  In fact good to do once a season, to test for punctures or leaks.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »

I get co2 cartridge in bike stores much cheaper then mustangs.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »

Ok SS, no problem.

I threw it out there for anybody who's interested.

On a side note.  You can manually inflate your inflatable LJ by opening the Velcro and using the blow up tube, to test.  In fact good to do once a season, to test for punctures or leaks.

Yeah good tip, I should test my manual Mustang vest and make sure there are no leaks. I only wear it on lakes but if I need to use it it needs to work!!

I get co2 cartridge in bike stores much cheaper then mustangs.

Well, I would exercise caution here. Make sure the Co2 is the EXACT same if you are using one that is not Mustang brand. I know the one my vest takes is bigger than a standard CO2 for bike tires, air guns, etc.

I figure, meh, I'm not messing around when it comes to my life jacket, I know I'm getting gouged paying 40 bucks for a C02 but I'm only going to pull the string in an emergency.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »

I have the older inflatable fishing vest with the regular size co2 which mustang don't have any more,so had to use bike one,same size same thread. 2 for about 12 bucks, tested it with one and perfect.

mcallagan

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »

I have looked and seen the cartridges for $24 for 2 like previously states.
My self infiltrator Mustang MIT has a buoyancy of 26lbs which holds me and my gear up no problem.

Voyager

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »

I use a manual inflatable for my kayak in small lakes but have to admit I don't completely trust it to inflate, also if it was inflated because it's quite bulky it could make getting back onboard more difficult, for that reason on the river, ocean or large cold lakes I use a non inflatable pfd.