Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Sechelt Inlet  (Read 8949 times)

BananasQ

Fishing Sechelt Inlet
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »

Just looking at the Tuwanek area - anyone know what the fishing is like in the Inlet? Winter springs, rock fish, coho, etc?  Any local knowledge is most appreciated!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fishing Sechelt Inlet
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »

there's hatchery on the inlet run by the local 1st Nations Band plus Chapman Creek has hatchery returns. There's long history of salmon fishing both in the inlet and the Strait. In the inlet you can run all the way up to Skookumchuk narrows plus the side inlets. Pender Harbour was once well known for good winter spring fishing in protected waters.

Here's a local fishing report from Trail Bay Source for Sports.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/fishingsechelt/fishingreport%20.htm
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BananasQ

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »

Thanks RalphH - I guess I better get out there and post my own reports. :)

96XJ

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »

You didn't say if you're fishing in a boat or from shore , I can't speak for boat fishing but shore fishing has been pretty miserable,  there were lots of pinks around but coho not so much , the link posted says " good coho fishing in Bonnie brook " there has been about 5% of the coho caught this year compared to last year in Bonnie brook , i don't believe Davis Bay has been much better , Chapman Creek has been OK , but most coho have started to turn

Now saying all this I have seen the odd fresh coho caught in the last couple of days,  hopefully the rain that is forecasted will push whatever coho are left into the creeks and closer to shore where we shore fishers can get a few  ;)

BananasQ

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »

You didn't say if you're fishing in a boat or from shore , I can't speak for boat fishing but shore fishing has been pretty miserable,  there were lots of pinks around but coho not so much , the link posted says " good coho fishing in Bonnie brook " there has been about 5% of the coho caught this year compared to last year in Bonnie brook , i don't believe Davis Bay has been much better , Chapman Creek has been OK , but most coho have started to turn

Now saying all this I have seen the odd fresh coho caught in the last couple of days,  hopefully the rain that is forecasted will push whatever coho are left into the creeks and closer to shore where we shore fishers can get a few  ;)

Hey 96XJ - so, I am officially up the inlet now.  I plan to be trolling and mooching from a canoe around Tuwanek and southerly from there and seeing what I can get - the dream is some of the winter salmon rumour has it are there. I plan to pop in to Trail Sports in Sechelt and see what knowledge I can glean, but if you were around sometime and fancied someone buying you coffee or joining you on a fishing trip let me know! I am seriously excited about the pristine waters up here and looking to get away from a bit of the intensity of our mainland fishing. My email is barney dot harris at outlook dot com. Tight lines!