Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be safe wading out there!!  (Read 11277 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Be safe wading out there!!
« on: October 24, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »

So yesterday was fishing from shore on the Vedder. Went to the spot at first light I've had luck with the last few weeks in the canal, fished there for 2 hours, nothing! Though to myself, why not check out some spots I like that I have not fished yet this fall. Drove to a spot I like a bit above the Vedder crossing. Couldn't get a good drift into the deep section of the run as this dude is waded WAY out there down stream of me and my line would floss him when I reeled in. He was literally up to his waist and the water was moving fast enough. I tossed a dozen or so casts then moved on.

Went to another spot I like up river. Only 2 guys there, one up from me and a guy on the other side of the river on the steep rocks. Guy on rocks gets something big on, slips on the rock he's on, and goes in the river! Luckily there was a bit of a pool before the fast water and he managed to get back on his rock and land the fish!!

Guy beside me and guy across the river are chatting back and forth. I figure they know each other but the guy on the other side MUST have drove in from that way. But no. After a couple more hours the guy across the river packs up his stuff, and starts to wade ACROSS THE RIVER. Using the shaft of his enormous net as a wading staff. He was literally waist deep and you could tell he was having a tough time.

I say to the guy above me...is he your friend? He says yes. I say what the f**k is he doing?!!? He says oh no he's okay, he waded across to the other side in the morning, he's coming back as we parked on this side. I shake my head and decide to snap a pic of the guy so I can show it to my buddies later in case they don't believe that someone waded across the river here.

After I snapped the pic the guy made it another 20 or so yards, then he falls!! He thrashes down river for 10 feet or so and somehow manages to stand up before the tailout, and make it to shore. His buddy runs down to se if he is okay. He is, but had to strip right down and wring everything out. I bet he scared the s**t out of himself.

So, to all you new fishermen out there. Be careful! "chest waders" are not meant to wade up to your chest! If you even think "this might be a sketchy place to wade" then it IS and just don't do it. and it you think your Mustang pull-vest has enough buoyancy to float you merrily down the river when your waders are full of water I can assure you they do NOT. I have a buddy who has been with SAR for over 20 years and they have recovered more than one dead fisherman with a life jacket on who was still pulled under when his waders filled right up.

If this was not enough, before going home I decide to check out one last spot by the Tamahai bridge. Got 1 nice hatchery coho (finally) in a calm seam down river of all the snaggers. When I looked closer up river I could see people fishing of these rocks out in the fast water!! REALLY?!? How did you even get there? Unreal.

So, have a word with yourself and think twice before you risk your life for a fish. Almost saw a guy die yesterday. Not my idea of wrapping up a good day's fishing.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Be safe wading out there!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »

nevertoolate

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »

last year I was walking along the path by the river near the campground heading for the path to the bar.  Stopped to look around and the entire bank collapsed underneath me.    Luckily I caught some stuff and was able to scramble back up.  Scarey stuff out there sometimes and when it happens its usually a suprise.  You gotta think far ahead.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »

People really do get fish fever.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

Good reminder

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »

I personally have never found the need for any sort of significant wading on the vedder river...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »

Me neither. In fact just the other week I was fishing with a good buddy. He wanted to cross through a fast little creek like thing we needed to go through to get to a spot on the other side. I got about 1/3 across and was like, nope, I'm turning back. Water was about knee deep but moving fast.. He was a bit pissed for a second as he was comfortable crossing and wanted to hit the run down river. But he understood and in the end it was no big deal. Like I said if your brain is telling you "this might be sketchy" then it IS and just don't do it.

I have slipped a couple times and gotten water down my waders. Luckily I got back up and all was good. Now I wade ultra conservative it's just not worth risking your life to catch a fish!

Still can't believe this guy yesterday. Unfortunately often the  only fix for stupid is a good scare.

ShaunO

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »

AND DO UP YOUR WADING BELT!

It's not there to keep them on your hip, it's there to keep them from instantly filling with water and dragging you under to a horrific death.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:16 AM »

It ain't the roe bro'

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »

While it's a good reminder, you may be taking things a little far. If I recognize that spot correctly, it is only deep for 10-15 feet along the backside and then shallows and slows out considerably.

Some people are more confident in their wading skills, and have stronger legs, better balance, more weight, etc. What you may perceive as dangerous or stupid may be a cake walk to another angler. For example, you noted the knee deep side channel scaring you. That is your wading ability, while your buddy did that with ease.

The best advice I have is wade to your ability. The more you wade, the more confident you get, and soon you'll be "the idiot." I quite often wade waist deep fairly fast water, and I act as the water break and stabilizer for my friends that are with me. They would never do it on their own, because they don't have as much experience and aren't as confident. Likewise, one of my buddies does crazy wades that I would never attempt on my own, but having him help as we cross is enough to get me to the other side.

Last point I'll make is always look downriver. I'm much more willing to do a "risky" wade if it's smoother sailing below. Log jams, rapids, waterfalls, etc below will significantly impact what risk I'm willing to take.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »

Very salient last bit...

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »

AND DO UP YOUR WADING BELT!

It's not there to keep them on your hip, it's there to keep them from instantly filling with water and dragging you under to a horrific death.

Yeah very true. I've almost experienced that last part. Was on the upper Skagit several years ago wading in fast water and lost my footing on the smooth stones. This was in late July so the river was still pretty high.

In like literally 15 seconds after going down my waders were completely full of water. If the water had been any deeper I probably wouldn't be here today because I barely made it back to shore. The weight of the water probably adds like 80 lbs or something to your waders so standing up again is impossible. I was very lucky that I was in the shallower tail out of a run and not above a deep pool so I could drag myself out. Never forgot to wear my wading belt again after that.

redlad

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

I fish out of my Kayak sometimes and like to jump out on the bars and wade when I get there so you need waders.

I have always been worried that one day I might tip the yak.

This year I bought a pair of waders deigned for the purpose.

They are made by kokatat (Kayak gear company) and they are waist wasders with a gasket at the top.  They get a vey good seal when you clamp them down and are deisgned to let next to no water in if you fall in.  So far i love them and recommend them to anyone.

I paid $159 at MEC. They are well worth the money.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »

While it's a good reminder, you may be taking things a little far. If I recognize that spot correctly, it is only deep for 10-15 feet along the backside and then shallows and slows out considerably.

Some people are more confident in their wading skills, and have stronger legs, better balance, more weight, etc. What you may perceive as dangerous or stupid may be a cake walk to another angler. For example, you noted the knee deep side channel scaring you. That is your wading ability, while your buddy did that with ease.

The best advice I have is wade to your ability. The more you wade, the more confident you get, and soon you'll be "the idiot." I quite often wade waist deep fairly fast water, and I act as the water break and stabilizer for my friends that are with me. They would never do it on their own, because they don't have as much experience and aren't as confident. Likewise, one of my buddies does crazy wades that I would never attempt on my own, but having him help as we cross is enough to get me to the other side.

Last point I'll make is always look downriver. I'm much more willing to do a "risky" wade if it's smoother sailing below. Log jams, rapids, waterfalls, etc below will significantly impact what risk I'm willing to take.

I agree with Daniel here and I also act as the current break or anchor for most of my friends and family when wading. I myself have also gone completely under and downstream twice, both times it was my error in judgment that put me in the situation and neither time did I feel my life was in danger due to the fact I don't panic and know what to do. I also wear my wading belt 100% of the time and only buy the stretchy type because they will fit tighter but allow movement without digging into your body.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/