Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better loops for better play of the flies  (Read 6472 times)

dobrolub

Better loops for better play of the flies
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »

I've noticed on some pictures that flies are tied to the leader using a loop that allows free play action for the fly. I searched the internet and couldn't really find what that loop / method is called. Please help.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Better loops for better play of the flies
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »

A non slip loop knot.
Im no fly expert by any stretch but I use that knot for pretty much everything except dry flies.

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »

Awesome! Thank you .

I found a few more below but non–slip-loop seems like a good knot... practicing it...

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/knots/table.php#Palomar

dobrolub

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »

Have you tried it in a loop to loop connections? It seems like it might be a good loop for that too.

My loops often break at the tying point. so I am looking for a better know. I was using an 8-figure and perfection and both reduce the line strength significantly.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »

Only pain in the A"£ about loop knots is they eat leader material like you wont believe...

...Rodney and his censorship

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »

...Rodney and his censorship
Here you go: "Pain in the аss". Don't thank me :) learn the code

Yep, they do eat the leader :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:04:00 PM by dobrolub »

mcallagan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »

You might want to try the Rapala Knot - yea, named after the company.
It is a non slip loop knot.
To learn how to tie it Google is your friend. 8)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »

Huge fan of the non slip loop knot.
http://www.sfotf.ca/watch/quick-tip-03
That's a video of Brian Chan showing how to tie it up. Use it for everything bu dries here as well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »

Huge fan of the non slip loop knot.
http://www.sfotf.ca/watch/quick-tip-03
That's a video of Brian Chan showing how to tie it up. Use it for everything bu dries here as well.

with respect to Mr Chan that is a clinch loop not a non slip loop. The tag in the non slip goes through the open overhand first, around the main line 5 or 6 times and then back through the overhand knot the same way it came out. This is a stronger knot (close to 100%) than the knot Chan ties in the video. It's worth noting that most of the knots used to tie lure and flies to the terminal part of a line are variations on clinch knots. Those variations were developed because the clinch knot is not that strong often testing at 90% or less.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »

with respect to Mr Chan that is a clinch loop not a non slip loop. The tag in the non slip goes through the open overhand first, around the main line 5 or 6 times and then back through the overhand knot the same way it came out. This is a stronger knot (close to 100%) than the knot Chan ties in the video. It's worth noting that most of the knots used to tie lure and flies to the terminal part of a line are variations on clinch knots. Those variations were developed because the clinch knot is not that strong often testing at 90% or less.
I mostly agree,  I find three wraps to be the sweet spot for all line.  Gets a little harder to seat as you go up.  With lighter lines (5x) I've had no problems,  oddly enough when I break off it usually opened the loop up as I have a knot and two strands of line.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 08:48:16 AM »

most often my NSM loops break at the apex of the loop, not the wraps. I always follow Left Kreh's recommendations for number of wraps for any knot as he has tested these using a custom machine using wet knots and 2 types of strain application, gradual and rapid.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »

Have you tried it in a loop to loop connections? It seems like it might be a good loop for that too.

My loops often break at the tying point
. so I am looking for a better know. I was using an 8-figure and perfection and both reduce the line strength significantly.

make sure to wet all your knots when tying them. I usually gently pull them sort of together then wet them with spit then cinch them down slowly and firmly often finishing with a strong pull to test the strength and to make sure there will be absolutely no line slippage with a fish on. trim tag end and fish away  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/