Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum's bad table fare rap...  (Read 6846 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Chum's bad table fare rap...
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »

Just cooked and ate my first chum. Reasonably fresh, not chrome, but only slightly green/stripey with some beginnings of nasty canines.

I keep reading on forums that chum are awful, but frankly, I thought it was right tasty. Not as 'salmony' as coho, chinook, or sockeye, but definitely more robust than pink which I also enjoy.

Very glad to have caught 24+ dinners today...

Burbot

Re: Chum's bad table fare rap...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »

I eat chum and I also smoke some.  I do not know why it gets a bad rap for.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »

Chum and Pinks get a bad rap because of how they were handled and processed years ago. They were a low cost fish for the fishermen. So abundant that they were worth much less than Sockeye. They were handled poorly accordingly. People liked the red meat fish and paid more for it.

Net caught, not dressed immediately, dumped in a hold.

Take a fine chicken, kill it, don't clean it, stuff it in some icy water and let it float around for several hours , if not days. What do you think that chicken would taste like.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:57:45 AM »

It is good smoked, and I like to use it for salmon wellington as well

sandy999

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »

Just cooked and ate my first chum. Reasonably fresh, not chrome, but only slightly green/stripey with some beginnings of nasty canines.

I keep reading on forums that chum are awful, but frankly, I thought it was right tasty. Not as 'salmony' as coho, chinook, or sockeye, but definitely more robust than pink which I also enjoy.

Very glad to have caught 24+ dinners today...

I am glad that you are glad about your Chum. I have eaten Chum caught in the river with the colouring as you described, and I have also tried Chum a few times that were caught in the saltchuck and totally chrome. As far as I am concered, the only good part of the fish is the spice that the cook put on the fish. Smoked is another story-they are very good smoked if they are fresh. But there again you are not actually tasting the fish-the main flavour is from your choice of brine. Often the smoked fish that are offered for sale in the stores is Chum-the only reason for this is because the fish at the commerical level is so cheap. I have seen anglers take home Chum with fungus starting to grow on them but I am told that they are great smoked. I am afraid that I am not that hungry. To each his own.

Kever

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »

Took home a chum doe last week with a little black starting to come in on the belly. The meat was firm and after it was smoked it was a real treat. Looking forward to bonking a few more!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »

I don't mind smoked Chum but cant eat it any other way.
Have caught bright silver fish at Campbell River and still blechhhh!